Skimmer Throat Tile Collapsed

ElGood

May 11, 2011
Mesquite, Tx
The tile on the roof of my skimmer throatjust collapsed. When we moved in 20 plus years ago, the tile was held in place by RTV silicone. I reset it but now there is more thinset that has come loose. I was told by a pool company that wanted $400.00 just to send a crew out without repairing anything that it should have had a header of some sort that spanned across the sides to support the coping which is about 4” wide, there are 4.5 coping tiles that span the throat. Interested in hearing opinions on whether I should just replace the tile, or wreck out good coping to put in a header on a pool that has never had one, Pool was installed in 1991

Reactions: MNiels
Hard to see in that picture.. how high is the water level? It should be in the middle of the skimmer. My pool was built in 2013 with pour in place coping. It does not have tiles on the ceiling of the skimmer opening, and works just fine. Since I have an overflow drain, my water level would never get that high.

Reactions: ElGood
I would not even bother with putting tiles back on the roof. Missing the tiles does not affect the function of the skimmer. I doubt anyone is going to look up there and realize tiles are not there. It is purely cosmetic and if it really bother you then glue some tiles back up there anytime they fall down.

Reactions: ElGood
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.