Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I bought some and like them. But....They are very fine mesh. Is there brand that is a less tight mesh? I want to catch bugs and small stuff. The regular skimmer socks catch stuff as small as dust and I think they are reducing the flow in the skimmers.

The main thing I want to catch is ants. Yes ants. We have an issue with fireant royalty attracted to the water. Fireants are tiny, but the royalty are the size of carpenter ants, with wings. After every rain storm in the summer, they release royalty. And the reflecting sparkle attracts the flying ants.

So a skimmer sock about the mesh level of a good hand skimmer/leak rake.

Been using the hairnets for several years and they’re great. Just be careful removing
them. Some insects can get caught around/under the lip of the hairnet where it folds
over the edge of the basket. Got a nasty wasp sting and have been diligent since. Ya
don’t have to tell me twice on that one! 🐝 Fireants would be no fun either!

Reactions: mariane
I bought some and like them. But....They are very fine mesh. Is there brand that is a less tight mesh? I want to catch bugs and small stuff. The regular skimmer socks catch stuff as small as dust and I think they are reducing the flow in the skimmers.

The main thing I want to catch is ants. Yes ants. We have an issue with fireant royalty attracted to the water. Fireants are tiny, but the royalty are the size of carpenter ants, with wings. After every rain storm in the summer, they release royalty. And the reflecting sparkle attracts the flying ants.

So a skimmer sock about the mesh level of a good hand skimmer/leak rake.
We have fire ants on our property, but the after-rain ants are actually flying ants that live in the trees. They get knocked out and end up hundreds/thousands in the pool for a few days. It's bizarre.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the hairnets (arrived today). Need to have the rain slow down enough so I don't have to swim from the backdoor to the skimmers. We've had over 5 inches of rain in the past 24 hours.

Yeah, it's been crazy here too. The animals are pairing up and looking for the Ark!
More coming our way the next few days. Feast or famine...no in between! Guess I
need to go find more CYA since it's departing via my overflow drain.

I use these and I love them. Especially when my labrador is in the pool. It’s amazing and a little gross the pet hair it collects. Lol. I just bought a 12 pack for $8.99. Dirt cheap and they’re reusable.
Amazon.com : 12 Pool Skimmer Socks Filters and Baskets - Premium Socks Traps Small Debris, Grass, Hair, Pine Needles, Leaves, Bugs, Pollen and More for In-Ground and Above Ground Swimming Pools : Garden & Outdoor
Also great to use to dissolve CYA - soak them for a few hours, then you can squeeze the CYA out completely in just a couple of minutes!

Reactions: mariane
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.