Skimmer socks-filtration level?

JimMarshall

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 5, 2017
Oil City PA
I’m doing some repair work to the deck on my AGP. I’ve been pretty diligent about working in a manner to minimize the amount of sawdust and debris getting in the pool, but I’ve still ended up with enough that I’m going to need to clean my cartridge filters soon.

Im getting ready to trim the ends of the boards where they overhang the deck. Especially where it overhangs the pool, I’ll essentially have no option other than to blast the pool full of sawdust.

Are skimmer socks fine enough to catch these fine sawdust particles? Should I just plan on having to clean the filter again soon? Should I put some dish soap in with the hopes that it will sink and my robot can gather it up?

I would think that the particles that didn't make it to the skimmer would sink to the bottom on their own, then your Dolphin would vac them up. No need for dish soap. Make sure you have the fine (pleated) filter installed. I don't have much experience with skimmer socks but I do use a hairnet and I am pretty sure the hairnet would trap sawdust.

I would imagine the sawdust would not only float, but also clump together making it easy for the skimmer sock to catch.

Reactions: borjis
Is it pressure treated ? That might add another headache to the mix. It it’s 2 ends no biggie but 30 would make a few handfuls of oily sawdust once wet. What about tucking a cheap plastic drop cloth over the side of the pool and rigging up poles on the ends (duct tape of course) like a 2 person fishing net over the pool. You could make your cuts and then shake the caught sawdust into the gap between the pool and the deck where it would safely fall outside the pool.

Is it pressure treated ? That might add another headache to the mix. It it’s 2 ends no biggie but 30 would make a few handfuls of oily sawdust once wet. What about tucking a cheap plastic drop cloth over the side of the pool and rigging up poles on the ends (duct tape of course) like a 2 person fishing net over the pool. You could make your cuts and then shake the caught sawdust into the gap between the pool and the deck where it would safely fall outside the pool.
Good point about pressure treated that I didn't think about. Not sure it's wise to have PT sawdust in the pool. Plastic drop cloth is a good solution though.

Reactions: Newdude
Sting it up like a volleyball or fishing net, half in half out and catch whatever falls.

You could also have a helper with a shop vac following along to catch the sawdust. We had granite countertops put in and they did that reasonably well and the dude had all 10 fingers when we were done.

You can also use cheap pool noodles to make a cheap floating sawdust containment area then skim that area really well. Think of something similar to an oil boom that contains oil slicks.

I think the skimmer sock would be sufficient- just don’t forget to check it & swap it out often. When we were doing ours that’s what i used & also just got in the pool with the skimmer net thing & scooped cuz I was hot! Killed 2 birds w/ 1 stone 🤣
let Wall-e get the rest as u admire your new deck w/ a beverage 🍹

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would think that the particles that didn't make it to the skimmer would sink to the bottom on their own, then your Dolphin would vac them up. No need for dish soap. Make sure you have the fine (pleated) filter installed. I don't have much experience with skimmer socks but I do use a hairnet and I am pretty sure the hairnet would trap sawdust.

My thought was the dish soap might drop it before it got in the skimmers and enable me to not have to clean my cartridge again

Good point about pressure treated that I didn't think about. Not sure it's wise to have PT sawdust in the pool. Plastic drop cloth is a good solution though.

it is PT. What effect would it have on the pool?
I had considered overlapping my solar cover under the deck and then vacuuming or blowing the cover off.

You could also have a helper with a shop vac following along to catch the sawdust. We had granite countertops put in and they did that reasonably well and the dude had all 10 fingers when we were done.

You can also use cheap pool noodles to make a cheap floating sawdust containment area then skim that area really well. Think of something similar to an oil boom that contains oil slicks.

I intend to do the shop vac thing but inevitably a bunch of sawdust will still get in the pool. The oil boom is brilliant though.

it is PT. What effect would it have on the pool?
Dunno. This modern, doesn't work half as well PT stuff isnt nearly as bad as it used to be, but it isn't exactly salad either and in sawdust form could leave an oily residue.
I had considered overlapping my solar cover under the deck and then vacuuming or blowing the cover off.
Awesome idea !! The solar cover will be much sturdier than my drop cloth idea. I would like to change my vote to that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.