Skimmer sock destroyed skimmer??

TheOne

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Houston, TX
krcossin said:
I've been using my first skimmer sock for almost two weeks now, every day I leave it attached squeeze it, wipe whatever it captured, rinse it and put the skimmer back in place. I have a spare, but haven't needed to switch it, yet. Good advice Rob, install it on the inside of the basket.
Yes I still have not removed my skim-mor socks once since installing them. I just take the skimmer basket out and hose it off a couple times a week. Still no visible wear on the socks after several weeks use.

PolishPooler

Jun 2, 2009
New pool, 2 weeks old. Put a skimmer sock on and rinsed it out at the end of the day.

2nd day, went to rinse the sock out and it was pulled thru the basket in 4 places about 3/8 of an inch.
Basket was cracked in 4 places top to bottom about 4 inch crack in all 4 places.

Is the basket that comes with the pool that cheap and thinly made ? Should I ck at the pool store and see if there baskets are more durable ?
I like the idea of the sock but dont want to keep buying baskets.

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
Was this skimmer used to hold pucks of chlorine? I keep reading here that putting a puck in the skimmer can damage the plastic....

PolishPooler

Jun 2, 2009
No, and the pool and basket are only 2 weeks old. Are there heavy duty skimmer baskets available ?
I will take this one to the pool store and compare .

reindeerboy

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
Jamestown, ND
I woundn't think that a puck in the skimmer would hurt the plastic as long as the pool is running. I use a couple trichlor pucks throughout the year to add CYA into the pool and then switch to full bleach and at the end of each night when I turn off the pump, I pull the puck out. Leaving the puck in the skimmer without the water circulating could damage it over time.

Just my thoughts anyway. Plus I do love the skimmer sock. I use it all year round and just check it more frequently when the pollen is in full season and when the leaves start to drop in late September.

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Middle Tennessee
PolishPooler said:
New pool, 2 weeks old. Put a skimmer sock on and rinsed it out at the end of the day.

2nd day, went to rinse the sock out and it was pulled thru the basket in 4 places about 3/8 of an inch.
Basket was cracked in 4 places top to bottom about 4 inch crack in all 4 places.

Is the basket that comes with the pool that cheap and thinly made ? Should I ck at the pool store and see if there baskets are more durable ?
I like the idea of the sock but dont want to keep buying baskets.
Oh, it most definitely can happen. I was adding borax one night via my skimmer, and didn't take the sock off of my skimmer basket beforehand. Being stupid and in a hurry, I dumped a little too much borax at one time in the skimmer, heard the pump bog down, heard a crack, and found out that the top lip of my skimmer basket had separated from the rest of the basket. Sadly, this wasn't the first time I'd done this.. :hammer:

I've also had a time or two where pollen has clogged up my sock to the point to where the sock was being pulled through the small openings in the basket.

Bottom line - if you've got a lot of stuff in the pool, or a lot of stuff getting blown into the pool, check your skimmer sock frequently, or take it off if you can't check it frequently.

edit: one thing I forgot to mention - this all happened when I had my 1hp single speed pump. I haven't cracked a basket using my 2-speed pump on low. I'm sure the increased suction of the 1hp single speed was one of the factors.

dattia

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2008
West Chester, PA
I have noticed some cracks on my pump basket right at the part where the water is drawn into the pump. That is where I typically get a clump of pine needles stuck... So, I guess any obstruction can cause this to happen. I use the skimmer socks to alleviate the issue in the pump basket, but I make sure to check it frequently.

I did a really stupid thing one time too...but luckily I was right there and was able to stop it right away. I added Fiber Clear (synthetic DE alternative) in through my skimmer to help my filter along... and of course, I forgot to take the sock off. The awful sound from my pump startled me and I quickly shut everything off and did it the right way.

I guess they make replacement parts for a reason! :D

MJCP

Sep 14, 2007
Michigan
I have a POOL DEVIL which uses a sock - similar situation
The sock that came with it seemed pretty durable, but after two weeks it
literally started falling apart. I suspect some socks react to BBB differently than others.
I will replace it with some Knee High's and see if they do any better or worse.

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
I have a cheap skimmer basket I bought at Leslie's recently. I've been using skimmer socks, which work especially well when we have all the fluffy stuff from the cottonwood trees. I remove the skimmer sock, turn it inside out, and put it over a spray bottle. Then I put the spray bottle in front of the fence and use my garden hose to wash off the skimmer sock, and then I reinstall it. I've had the same skimmer sock on for a couple of weeks now.

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Middle Tennessee
I've switched from the Aqua Chem socks I was buying at Wallyworld to Skim-Mor (?) socks I bought at the pool store. I have to say, the Skim-Mor socks are better - the elastic doesn't wear out near as fast as the Aqua Chem ones do. Pricing was roughly the same, too.

PolishPooler

Jun 2, 2009
Bought a new basket at the pool store today . Compared the one I had with one at the store.
The basket that came with the pool had a tighter pattern, the holes were a lot closer than the basket at the store.
I like the close pattern but maybe not the basket to use with a sock ? Restricted water flow too much ? I will try the sock with the new basket and keep it cleaned dailey.

LarryG

Jun 3, 2014
Lee County, FL
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on the skimmer sock. Just started using one a week ago. Picks up a lot of small debris.
Got the "sock" at the local Dollar Store... 3 pairs of ladies queen-size knee-highs for a buck... work great! Still on first sock.
Put a medium-size rock in the basket to keep it from floating up.
You folks are a fab resource to this first-time pool owner!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on the skimmer sock. Just started using one a week ago. Picks up a lot of small debris.
Got the "sock" at the local Dollar Store... 3 pairs of ladies queen-size knee-highs for a buck... work great! Still on first sock.
Put a medium-size rock in the basket to keep it from floating up.
You folks are a fab resource to this first-time pool owner!

Other Threads of Interest