Skimmer sock destroyed skimmer??

krcossin said:
I've been using my first skimmer sock for almost two weeks now, every day I leave it attached squeeze it, wipe whatever it captured, rinse it and put the skimmer back in place. I have a spare, but haven't needed to switch it, yet. Good advice Rob, install it on the inside of the basket.

Yes I still have not removed my skim-mor socks once since installing them. I just take the skimmer basket out and hose it off a couple times a week. Still no visible wear on the socks after several weeks use.

New pool, 2 weeks old. Put a skimmer sock on and rinsed it out at the end of the day.

2nd day, went to rinse the sock out and it was pulled thru the basket in 4 places about 3/8 of an inch.
Basket was cracked in 4 places top to bottom about 4 inch crack in all 4 places.

Is the basket that comes with the pool that cheap and thinly made ? Should I ck at the pool store and see if there baskets are more durable ?
I like the idea of the sock but dont want to keep buying baskets.

I woundn't think that a puck in the skimmer would hurt the plastic as long as the pool is running. I use a couple trichlor pucks throughout the year to add CYA into the pool and then switch to full bleach and at the end of each night when I turn off the pump, I pull the puck out. Leaving the puck in the skimmer without the water circulating could damage it over time.

Just my thoughts anyway. Plus I do love the skimmer sock. I use it all year round and just check it more frequently when the pollen is in full season and when the leaves start to drop in late September.

PolishPooler said:
New pool, 2 weeks old. Put a skimmer sock on and rinsed it out at the end of the day.

2nd day, went to rinse the sock out and it was pulled thru the basket in 4 places about 3/8 of an inch.
Basket was cracked in 4 places top to bottom about 4 inch crack in all 4 places.

Is the basket that comes with the pool that cheap and thinly made ? Should I ck at the pool store and see if there baskets are more durable ?
I like the idea of the sock but dont want to keep buying baskets.

Oh, it most definitely can happen. I was adding borax one night via my skimmer, and didn't take the sock off of my skimmer basket beforehand. Being stupid and in a hurry, I dumped a little too much borax at one time in the skimmer, heard the pump bog down, heard a crack, and found out that the top lip of my skimmer basket had separated from the rest of the basket. Sadly, this wasn't the first time I'd done this.. :hammer:

I've also had a time or two where pollen has clogged up my sock to the point to where the sock was being pulled through the small openings in the basket.

Bottom line - if you've got a lot of stuff in the pool, or a lot of stuff getting blown into the pool, check your skimmer sock frequently, or take it off if you can't check it frequently.

edit: one thing I forgot to mention - this all happened when I had my 1hp single speed pump. I haven't cracked a basket using my 2-speed pump on low. I'm sure the increased suction of the 1hp single speed was one of the factors.

I have noticed some cracks on my pump basket right at the part where the water is drawn into the pump. That is where I typically get a clump of pine needles stuck... So, I guess any obstruction can cause this to happen. I use the skimmer socks to alleviate the issue in the pump basket, but I make sure to check it frequently.

I did a really stupid thing one time too...but luckily I was right there and was able to stop it right away. I added Fiber Clear (synthetic DE alternative) in through my skimmer to help my filter along... and of course, I forgot to take the sock off. The awful sound from my pump startled me and I quickly shut everything off and did it the right way.

I guess they make replacement parts for a reason! :D

I have a POOL DEVIL which uses a sock - similar situation
The sock that came with it seemed pretty durable, but after two weeks it
literally started falling apart. I suspect some socks react to BBB differently than others.
I will replace it with some Knee High's and see if they do any better or worse.

I have a cheap skimmer basket I bought at Leslie's recently. I've been using skimmer socks, which work especially well when we have all the fluffy stuff from the cottonwood trees. I remove the skimmer sock, turn it inside out, and put it over a spray bottle. Then I put the spray bottle in front of the fence and use my garden hose to wash off the skimmer sock, and then I reinstall it. I've had the same skimmer sock on for a couple of weeks now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've switched from the Aqua Chem socks I was buying at Wallyworld to Skim-Mor (?) socks I bought at the pool store. I have to say, the Skim-Mor socks are better - the elastic doesn't wear out near as fast as the Aqua Chem ones do. Pricing was roughly the same, too.

Bought a new basket at the pool store today . Compared the one I had with one at the store.
The basket that came with the pool had a tighter pattern, the holes were a lot closer than the basket at the store.
I like the close pattern but maybe not the basket to use with a sock ? Restricted water flow too much ? I will try the sock with the new basket and keep it cleaned dailey.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on the skimmer sock. Just started using one a week ago. Picks up a lot of small debris.
Got the "sock" at the local Dollar Store... 3 pairs of ladies queen-size knee-highs for a buck... work great! Still on first sock.
Put a medium-size rock in the basket to keep it from floating up.
You folks are a fab resource to this first-time pool owner!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on the skimmer sock. Just started using one a week ago. Picks up a lot of small debris.
Got the "sock" at the local Dollar Store... 3 pairs of ladies queen-size knee-highs for a buck... work great! Still on first sock.
Put a medium-size rock in the basket to keep it from floating up.
You folks are a fab resource to this first-time pool owner!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.