Skimmer separation

Jul 22, 2015
Lancaster, PA
I was wondering if anyone can give me an advice on how urgent it is to replace this skimmer. The separation is most likely from concrete deck moving the top portion of the skimmer. The pool is not leaking unless water gets too high to that "separation". I am trying to seal it to prevent moisture coming in there but the main issues is moving concrete. Anyone had similar issue. My second skimmer is fine without separation but they are in different concrete slabs. See pictures

Attachments

• IMG_6050.jpg
    IMG_6050.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6051.jpg
    IMG_6051.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 27
For now I would clean and roughly sand the joint. Put a generous bead of 3M 5200 adhesive sealant on the crack and keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse. If it gets worse then consider doing a more intensive repair.

One word of caution is that is that 5200 sticks to everything and you need acetone to clean your fingers and tools. Once it cures it's near impossible to get off anything. It will cure underwater.

CJ. Thank for the reply. I was wondering if you think 5200 will hold since it doesn't expand and the problem is with expansion. You think it will hold to pressure of heaving of concrete in winter. Thanks. I had never used 3M 5200 that is why asking. I went to local ACE store and they recommended Sashco BIG STRETCH SEALANT. It claims to stretch up to 500 percent. What to get your opinion before applying. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.