Skimmer replacement

Mr. Green Pool

May 24, 2024
Phoenix
I'm in the process of replacing my skimmer. I removed the old one, and am ready to start plumbing in the new one. However, I have run into a problem: I have been careful to preserve that brown tile around the edge (which I like a lot), but the tiles laying flat at the entrance to the skimmer were already cracked, so I chipped them out. When I did it took a big chunk of the inside of the pool with it (and it all fell in the deep end!). What is that material, above the cement, but below the plaster that's about 1.5" thick at the edge there where the skimmer meets the inside of pool, and what do I repair it with? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!IMG_2093.jpegIMG_2092.jpegIMG_2090.jpeg

Some history of my pool: I always wanted to fix up an old house and I got one 57 years old, with a pool the same age. It had not been kept up at all and I have been repairing it slowly over the past few years.

1. First, the pool motor was seized up. This led to me noticing the electrical conduit running to it was completely rusted through. I dug a 140' long trench to the electrical panel on the opposite side of the house, put new pvc conduit and wired up a new switch out by the pump (240V).

2. I put a new motor, and repaired the pump: new impeller and seals.

3. Moved the pump and sand filter onto a platform (instead of in the mud like it was) replacing a leaky valve on top of the sand filter and putting in new sand in the process. (Right now I am just running a pool vac plugged directly into the pump).

4. Replaced portions of the return lines (still have to do more - I know I have a few small leaks).

5. The plaster is not good in parts (particularly the bottom of the deep end), but for now I just want to get the skimmer and all the plumbing functional.