Skimmer Question

rcerf

Gold Supporter
Aug 22, 2019
Eloy , Az
At the bottom of my skimmers there are two pipes , one homeruns to the equipment pad , and the other comes out the side of the pool below the skimmer opening , with a drain cover over it. Between the two pipe openings is a door which can be rotated to cover either opening. I noticed when I place it over the pipe coming out the side of the pool , I get much better flow over the weir door. The PB told me they put these in incase the water level accidentally falls below the skimmer opening, the pump won’t suck in air. My question is is there any down side to keeping the side drain covered so I have better flow over the weir door ? The pool has an autofill and a main drain , which I keep about 25% open. Thanks for your help. Ron
61232052-CDAF-4227-A1E0-A6B0D9337811.jpeg2FA2BC75-511C-4EBE-9412-7948444B2E3D.jpegBD69166B-6FB1-46A5-80F5-50487252FD58.jpeg

The side drain is a replacement for a main drain in the bottom of the pool.

With the side drain blocked if your pool water drops below the skimmer your expensive pool pump can run while dry and get damaged.

Do you only have one skimmer feeding your pump?

With two skimmers and the main drain feeding the pump it should not run dry if one skimmer gets clogged. If your main drain valve is open I don’t see why you need the side drain open.

Last edited:
R,

I would shut it off in a heart beat.. I can't see any use for it unless you don't pay attention to your pool for long periods of time.

But... I'm somewhat puzzled as I have the same basic set up, and have zero issues with skimming?

What speed are you running your pump when you notice the "better" skimming..

If you are trying to get the skimmer to look like a swirling toilet, then that is not how they should look..

I run my pump at about 1200 RPM and although there is only a slight ripple at the top of the skimmer basket, the basket fills right up with "stuff"..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim ,

Thanks for the reply. I run my pump at about 1700 rpm. When I had the side drains open there was no obvious water movement over the weir doors. When I shut off the side drain there is now rippling water above the basket and the flow into the skimmer is much better. I’ve been keeping the main drain valve about 25% open when I had the side drains open. With the side drains now closed should I keep the main drain wide open or continue to keep it partially closed.

Thanks for your help,

Ron

Ron,

Main drains are almost useless... I would set it to fully closed or open only about 10%.. That should also help your skimming..

With a heater, 1700 RPM sounds about right to me.. I would try to run the pump at about 100 RPM more than it takes to turn on the flow switch in your SWCG...

We recommend having the water level in the pool set to the middle of the skimmer mouth..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.