Skimmer pulling to much all of a sudden?

Cwiggs

Gold Supporter
Aug 31, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello TFP,

So last night I went outside to put bleach in the pool, and I heard what sounded like a waterfall. I thought maybe I forgot to turn the waterfall off. After looking more into it I saw that the skimmer was just pulling too much water in. I did not change the valves or the speed of the VS pump, but all of a sudden the skimmer was almost running out of water?

I adjusted the valves so that more water was pulling from the 2nd skimmer and a little from the main drain. That fixed the issue of the skimmer almost running out of water. However I noticed today that it seems like my water level is getting low. I have an automatic water fill, and I normally never hear it running, today I've heard it running all day long, and I've noticed the water line is lower than normal. So perhaps I have a leak? No water anywhere on my property so if there is a leak I assume it's really deep below ground.

I messed with it more tonight and noticed if I change the valve settings back to how I had it before all these issues, the skimmer does run out of water and starts sucking air. So I'm back at 2 skimmers at about 50/50, vac port open, main drain closed. The low water level seemed to start after I changed the valves so I'm concerned there is a leak in the 2nd skimmer, or main drain?

I'm not 100% if the skimmer randomly running out of water and the possible leak being related, but they did happen at about the same time, so my assumption is that they are related?

So I guess my first question. What would cause the skimmer to randomly start pulling too much water without any changes to the VS pump speed, or the valves?

2nd question, is the skimmer issue related to the water line going down, possible leak?

I'm a little worried because if there is a leak and I keep loosing water, it's too hot in PHX right now for the plaster to be dry for too long without it being damaged.

Thanks!

It may be best to try and isolate each line and determine if any change in water level. Turn off the auto fill line. It appears you have independent control of each skimmer and the main drain. Shut off 2 of the 3 and monitor water loss for 30 mins while circulating. Do this for each independent line. Does 1 create the water loss - if any? Keep your VS pump speed consistent on each of the 3 isolation tests.

Reactions: Cwiggs
C,

Your weir door is the problem.. It is almost impossible for the skimmer to "suck in too much water" unless the weir door sticks in the up position. The pump sucks the water out of the skimmer and then the weight of the pool water pushes the door open and then when the water fills the skimmer the door goes back up and sticks again.. Rinse and repeat..

Thanks,

Jim R.

C,

Your weir door is the problem.. It is almost impossible for the skimmer to "suck in too much water" unless the weir door sticks in the up position. The pump sucks the water out of the skimmer and then the weight of the pool water pushes the door open and then when the water fills the skimmer the door goes back up and sticks again.. Rinse and repeat..

Thanks,

Jim R.
While this is happening the weir door is all the way open and water is rushing into the skimmer. It just seems like the water isnt rushing in fast enough. Ill get a picture and/or video of it later, maybe that will help explain what im seeing.

Check your multi valve and make sure that is on filter, also make you you dont have water leaking out to the backwash line.

The water is rushing because the water is low.. turn off your water fill and pump and see where the water stops dropping.. That is where your leak is.... The problem with this is if it is in the bottom of the pool all your water is gone... hopefully it is at one of the skimmers or returns or a pipe in between, something easy to fix...

If it does not drop with the pump off it is in a line somewhere..
do 1 skimmer and return at a time to find the one that is broke..

Reactions: Cwiggs
Thank you everyone for the advice.
Check your multi valve and make sure that is on filter, also make you you dont have water leaking out to the backwash line.

I have a slide valve and I verified there is no water coming out of the backwash port.

Thank you everyone for the help so far. I think I'm going to use the bucket method I found here to verify I do have a leak, and how much is leaking. Then I'll run another bucket test with the pump off to see if the leak is in the lines somewhere. Then I'll isolate all the ports using the valves.

Just to give more info. I have 4 lines on the suction side: 2 skimmers, vacuum port, and main drain. I have valves so I can control all of them independently.

Once I have more info I'll report back.

Thanks again!

Since I know you folks love photos, here is the bucket test in action. Green bucket was the first try, then the family said they want to go swimming :rolleyes:. 2nd bucket is take 2 where it's away from the entrance so no one touches it while swimming. Anyone know if 3 people swimming in the pool will mess up this test? I imagine there will be some water loss because of people going in/out but not much.

Attachments

• bucket_loss_take1.jpg
    bucket_loss_take1.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 21
  • bucket_loss_take2_1.jpg
    bucket_loss_take2_1.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 22
  • bucket_loss_take2_2.jpg
    bucket_loss_take2_2.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 22
Okay 24 hour bucket test is just about done. Results:

Pool water loss: 7/16 inch
Inside bucket water loss: 1/4 inch
1/4 is 4/16, so 7/16 minus 4/16 is 3/16 inches

So it looks like with the current configuration of valves and pump speed the pool is leaking 3/16", or a little less than 1/4" in 24 hours. That doesn't seem like a lot. I would think the auto fill could keep up with 7/16" water loss a day?

So I manually filled the pool a few days back and the water level is approaching the level where the skimmers will stop working. When I manually filled the pool, I turned the autofill back on.

I have an autofill style like this, I went and adjusted it using the wingnut so hopefully it will rise the water level in the pool.

Does anyone else think 7/16" of water loss (with the leak + evaporation) is too much for the autofill to keep up with?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No.
I am amazed your evaporation is that little. Mine is 3/4" to an inch a day.
Hm, It's possible I measured wrong, but I doubt i was off by a full 1/2". I'll see if the adjustment to the autofill fixes the issue, otherwise I'll do another bucket test and see if I come up with something different.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: mknauss
Just wanted to update this one last time. After adjusting the auto-fill float everything has been fine since. Kinda weird that the auto float randomly needed to be adjusted? It also seems to be maxed out so if I want the water higher than it is I might have to buy a new auto fill unit? Not 100% sure but for now it's working as it should.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.