Skimmer not doing its job

Notapoolguy

Apr 20, 2019
Phoenix
Hello,

I just want to make it clear I know absolutely nothing about pools and how they work. What I’m sure of though is something isn’t working correctly.

My skimmer has no suction at all. If fact, it’s never had suction in the 3 years of having this pool. The pool vacuum works well.

I’ve taken a picture of my setup, which looks relatively simple, so I was hoping someone would be able to give me some pointers on what may need to be adjusted.

I also a bought a new pressure gauge yesterday but doesn’t work. Same as the other 2 I’ve bought over the years

I did twist those red sections, and now the vacuum doesn’t work...

Attachments

• 86FAE065-5E5E-4812-9725-7A61CA0FFABF.jpeg
    86FAE065-5E5E-4812-9725-7A61CA0FFABF.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 20
  • F4927D65-5F5F-4607-A1E8-3D1260D2D6C0.jpeg
    F4927D65-5F5F-4607-A1E8-3D1260D2D6C0.jpeg
    618.9 KB · Views: 19
Welcome to the forum!
The two valves (red handles?), one is from the skimmer and one is from the suction pool cleaner. So your skimmer has not been working because I suspect all or nearly all suction was set for the pool cleaner. That is one of the issues with suction side pool cleaners.

The gauge should work if your air relief valve is not clogged. You can try turning the valve (black item on top of the filter) to see if water comes out. Be aware their are o-rings in that valve that can dry out or crack and if you move the valve, you may not be able to get it completely turned off. The valve can be pulled apart and repaired.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: Notapoolguy
guy,

The two red valves control the input to the pump... One red valve controls the input from the skimmer the other the vacuum... Only you can tell which is which. Close one and open the other and see what works, then you will know which is which.

I suspect your filter is just dirty where the gauge screws in.. When was the last time you cleaned your filter cartridge? Is that an extra cartridge on the ground or does it belong in the filter?

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you are looking for "suction" at the skimmer, you will not see much of anything... You need to take out the skimmer basket and reach down to the pipe(s) at the bottom. If working, you should feel a lot of suction.. Do not plug the hole with your hand...

Jim R.

The two valves (red handles?), one is from the skimmer and one is from the suction pool cleaner. So your skimmer has not been working because I suspect all or nearly all suction was set for the pool cleaner. That is one of the issues with suction side pool cleaners.
Thank you. I can confirm one is for the pool cleaner (left) and one is for the skimmer (right). The only issue now is the pool cleaner will not suction if the skimmer is on

The gauge should work if your air relief valve is not clogged. You can try turning the valve (black item on top of the filter) to see if water comes out. Be aware their are o-rings in that valve that can dry out or crack and if you move the valve, you may not be able to get it completely turned off. The valve can be pulled apart and repaired.
Water does not come out if I twist the black valve, but it does release pressure. The thread for this release valve and the pressure gauge are just plastic threads. I see no O-rings

I suspect your filter is just dirty where the gauge screws in.. When was the last time you cleaned your filter cartridge? Is that an extra cartridge on the ground or does it belong in the filter?
Following on from the above quote, does the gauge just read pressure within the housing? When I removed the top section of the housing and unscrewed the gauge and release valve, all I can see is the plastic thread.

If you are looking for "suction" at the skimmer, you will not see much of anything... You need to take out the skimmer basket and reach down to the pipe(s) at the bottom. If working, you should feel a lot of suction.. Do not plug the hole with your hand...
Seeing a lot of suction and water motion now the skimmer is fully on. Pool cleaner won't do anything though

Thank you. I can confirm one is for the pool cleaner (left) and one is for the skimmer (right). The only issue now is the pool cleaner will not suction if the skimmer is on

Water does not come out if I twist the black valve, but it does release pressure. The thread for this release valve and the pressure gauge are just plastic threads. I see no O-rings

Following on from the above quote, does the gauge just read pressure within the housing? When I removed the top section of the housing and unscrewed the gauge and release valve, all I can see is the plastic thread.

Seeing a lot of suction and water motion now the skimmer is fully on. Pool cleaner won't do anything though
Saying that, the debris is just floating around in the skimmer. Not being sucked down, in case that's what it's supposed to do

On your skimmer / pool cleaner issue, that is the problem with suction cleaners. You normally can only either use it, or the skimmer. Rarely both. If you get a robot to clean the pool, then you have separate systems and you can have full suction through the skimmer all the time.

On the pressure relief valve, the o-rings are internal. And if you opened it with pressure on the filter, and it does not release water, then something is plugged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.