Skimmer & Main Drain Valve

kenpee

Jul 4, 2021
Florida
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
New pool owner here, with no experience or pool expertise. Appreciate your patience and support.

The previous owners had a pool guy who came by once a week. I decided to upgrade to a salt water system and to try to save a few bucks by handling the maintenance myself, so he hasn't been here in a week. I moved in about 3 weeks ago.

I realized that the skimmer wasn't pulling anything in and that the surface of the water was pretty dirty with bugs. I have a screened enclosure so it should stay relatively debris free. I also noticed that the water line is a few centimeters above the skimmer hole, which may be too high. I walked over to the pool equipment and noticed the valve had the skimmer 100% OFF and main drain 100% ON.

I decided to turn it 70/30 so 30% is pulling from the skimmer, and saw the water start to pull through. Yay.

But then I became concerned that perhaps the valve for the skimmer was off completely on purpose.

I opened the skimmer, removed the basket, and saw 2 holes at the bottom. 1 (front facing the pool) is sucking in water pretty hard. The 2nd (back) didn't seem to be doing anything. When I stick my fingers in there, I felt some sand and just a dead end underneath it. I then became concerned that the 2nd hole is supposed to be doing something and the skimmer valve was off to prevent some problem or breakage. I'll have the pool guy who is installing a heater and the salt water system back this week but I'm a little concerned in the meantime.

So here are my questions:
  1. Does the 2nd hole in the skimmer (not the front one facing the pool) do anything? Should I feel it pulling in like the front hole? If so, then does that mean it's blocked? If it's blocked, should I turn the valve back to be 100% main drain and 0% skimmer?
  2. Am I correct in thinking that the water line should be in the middle of the skimmer window instead of above it? If so, how do I drain the pool a bit to lower it?
  3. Probably a topic for another thread, but are there any great go-to materials for new pool owners who are trying to do the routine maintenance on their own with a salt water system and screened in enclosure? Chemical testing routine and materials, cleaning tips, whether robot vacuums are worthwhile, etc.?
Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, the water level should be about 1/2 - 3/4 up the skimmer faceplate opening for best results. As for the overall pool maintenance, see the link below to get started. We'll coach you along the way. Also be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Include your test kit as well.

For the big question - the skimmer. Post a pic of your equipment pad. It depends on how your pool was plumbed. You either have a main drain that is plumbed to that front-facing skimmer hole, then both the drain and skimmer water gets pulled into the rear hole towards the equipment pad ... OR .... Your drain and skimmer are plumbed independently to the pad. That would mean the installer only had a 2-hole skimmer and just plugged one port. But the rear hole (towards the pad) of the skimmer is usually the one that pulls water and should be free & clear.

full

Ken,

In operation it is best to run the skimmer 100% open the main drain about 10% open..

If you have valves marked as Main Drain and Skimmer, then your Main drain is not plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer..

When the main drain is not plumbed to the skimmer the extra hole is normally capped off. Normally, the hole closest to the water is capped and the other hole is plumbed to the pump.. but, if you have suction at either hole, that is the hole that is connected to the main pool pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, the water level should be about 1/2 - 3/4 up the skimmer faceplate opening for best results. As for the overall pool maintenance, see the link below to get started. We'll coach you along the way. Also be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Include your test kit as well.

For the big question - the skimmer. Post a pic of your equipment pad. It depends on how your pool was plumbed. You either have a main drain that is plumbed to that front-facing skimmer hole, then both the drain and skimmer water gets pulled into the rear hole towards the equipment pad ... OR .... Your drain and skimmer are plumbed independently to the pad. That would mean the installer only had a 2-hole skimmer and just plugged one port. But the rear hole (towards the pad) of the skimmer is usually the one that pulls water and should be free & clear.

CBB97F74-F748-4FD3-A5F1-2DF357779488.jpeg
722FF5C8-B988-42EB-8148-74FD12BE5D59.jpeg

Attachments

• 183D8940-F72D-425F-80A5-A7BCBBF18280.jpeg
    183D8940-F72D-425F-80A5-A7BCBBF18280.jpeg
    574.2 KB · Views: 3
  • B42CC760-ACA6-4514-B03D-8DD16A88BDD6.jpeg
    B42CC760-ACA6-4514-B03D-8DD16A88BDD6.jpeg
    436.8 KB · Views: 3
  • BEE8A127-8309-4690-B023-F17FC4007813.jpeg
    BEE8A127-8309-4690-B023-F17FC4007813.jpeg
    593.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 0A5F9805-79B9-4E88-8D30-05A2575A0037.jpeg
    0A5F9805-79B9-4E88-8D30-05A2575A0037.jpeg
    582.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 042B6B0C-4B97-41CB-AD97-8E77A8F2EAAA.jpeg
    042B6B0C-4B97-41CB-AD97-8E77A8F2EAAA.jpeg
    680.7 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.