Skimmer & Main Drain Valve Positions

poolcurious7

Bronze Supporter
Sep 20, 2018
Florida
Hello! Just wanted advice on my valve positions for my skimmer valve.

I have basically 3 options:

1. the one labeled vacuum: I believe this option draws more from the skimmer?
2. the one with the rocks: I believe this option draws equal suction from the skimmer and main drain
3. the other one with the dirt I believe this option draws more for the main drain??

For years I had option 2, but I think my pool person changed it to the option 1 maybe when he was vacuuming?

What is best for most pools?

Attachments

• IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 33

If you only have one skimmer, it should be run full open..

Your cleaner should go to a port in the side wall of your pool. Do you keep a suction side cleaner connected to this port all the time???

I would only run the main drain open about 10%, but that will be hard to do with your current 3 -way valve set up.

Why do you believe that you main drain has to always be wide open??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Assuming that your cleaner line has a cap where it enters the pool, I would rotate the valve around so that only 10% of the main drain is open. If the cleaner has a cap, you don't need to have it shut off with a valve.

Then I would fully open the Skimmer.

There is no absolute right answer here.. You can run it any way you want..

In my mind, the more suction you can shift to the skimmer, the better off you are.. Especially when using a VS pump running at a slow RPM..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.