skimmer & main drain flow

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

I had someone clean up around the sides of the house and one of those sides was where the equip pad resides. Can you pls view the 3 pics and let me know what needs to happen to increase skimmer flow and decrease main drain flow. My brain is fried after working on fences for 3 days straight and was seeking a little guidance.

Thank you, tstex

Attachments

• skim-drain.jpeg
    skim-drain.jpeg
    597.1 KB · Views: 51
  • skim-drain2.jpeg
    skim-drain2.jpeg
    569.6 KB · Views: 53
  • skim-drain3.jpeg
    skim-drain3.jpeg
    680.4 KB · Views: 50
Looks like it is set up that way now. The valve on the Main Drain inlet is set to barely open and the three way on the skimmers is open to both skimmers fully, if I am seeing the pictures correctly.

ts,

I agree with Marty..

If your skimmer flow is normally more than what you are seeing now, I would suspect a dirty filter.. (Because the valve positions look good to me).

Or... your VS pump is not running the speed you are used to seeing.

Or, or... In most cases the near skimmer sucks a lot more than the far skimmer.. You can compensate for this by adjusting the skimmer valve so that the far skimmer gets more of the suction than the near skimmer. You have the near and far skimmer set for equal suction, which results in the near skimmer having the most suction and the far skimmer to appear to be weak..

(I have run out of "or's) :mrgreen:

What is your filter pressure?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Marty & Jim

As always, thank you for your replies.

My pump basket had a more than normal amt of leaves in it and I have hair nets in both skimmers. Therefore, I concluded perhaps the drain was taking more suction & the m-drain setting has changed per guys cleaning around e-pad.

I'll play around w them and see how the suction side on skimmers work vs m/drain. Any feedback is welcomed.

Thanks again,
tstex

I see fittings that shouldn't be there but it'll work.

WF,

I know you are not supposed to use DWV sweeps or fittings, but... for the past five years on TFP, I have yet to see anyone show an actual failure. I just don't believe that normal pump has the pressure to blow them apart. Not saying it can never happen, but I suspect any failure would be caused by a sloppy glue job and not just because it is a DWV fitting.

I totally agree that standard schedule 40 fitting "should" be used.

Have you seen an actual failure??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: wireform
Wire, can you be specific on where you believe you see something that is not Schedule-40 ? Thx
I'm curious about this also. My pool builder used the same 90 degree 2" sweep elbows you have (Waterway Plastics 411-9130). They show an "ASTM D-2466" designation and are stamped "NSF" but not sure what that means.

The elbow fitting to the left of the 2way valve behind intake piping looks like dwv and some of the elbows look like knockoff fittings they have shallower hubs than brand name stuff. I've seen failures but always glue with that all purpose stuff. You have a spa that is automated with an actuator at the inlet is there any chance that's pulling too much and not enough from pool side

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.