Skimmer lid now starting to jam

lightninghill

Sep 27, 2019
Charlotte, NC
Hello All, I'm hoping to get some advice on what to do in this situation. I have a 3yr old pool, and with the lack of rain this year here in Charlotte the ground has cracked in places. As a result of this our cement has cracked along the lines it's meant to, I'm figuring I should seal those cracks before the winter, but circling back to my main issue which is.... my Skimmer lid. Over the course of the summer the lid started to get tighter and tighter because I presume the opening to the skimmer is getting squeezed and warped by the cement shift. Now I have to put my weight on the lid to close it. I'm afraid that if it continues to get worse I'll no longer be able to put the lid in place at this rate. Who would I have come out and look at this? A pool person, a concrete person? Is there anything I can do?

Attachments

• 20190927_081654.jpg
    20190927_081654.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190927_081814.jpg
    20190927_081814.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 25
It appears the housing for the skimmer access has been compromised or deformed with the shifting of the concrete. To have avoided this a 1/2" or so gap could have been left around the plastic housing and the resultant gap filled with a pliable filler.
What to do now? Saw cut a neat "box" around the access lid, remove the concrete and attempt to relieve the stress on the housing (maybe heating it) refitting your lid into the opening. Fill in the box with a pliable filler.

Being only 3 years old one would think your PB would lend a hand in solving the issue.

Good luck!

In the second picture I would saw along the horizontal line between the two different color deck materials to relieve the stress.

You have bigger problems than just the lid.

In my opinion, the deck probably was not poured on a well prepared base.

Now you are getting too much movement and I suspect that it's only going to get worse.

Can you describe the deck installation process?

Did they pour on recently backfilled soil?

I’m in a different industry but we use similar plastic encloser. The lid if closed will keep the shape of the box. One day once enough pressure has built up, when you pop the lid out, the box will distort and lose its shape completely. In your round opening case it will instantly become more oval-ish. At your current stage you are using your force to make the box hole round again. It will only get worse until it pops for good.

Yes, shave off a couple on mm on opposite sides of the lid rim. If you can get the lid and basket out, you should be OK for a while. Unfortunately, there's probably little you can do to loosen the skimmer in the cement without major surgery.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.