Apr 30, 2017
San Jose, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,

The little stopper that's built into my skimmer broke off and now the flap ends up swinging more than it should and it gets stuck on the side walls of the skimmer. As a consequence, it's causing the water to not flow into the skimmer when it's stuck and that's always a bad thing for the pump. The question I have is whether or not anyone knows if there's an easy way to repair this. A skimmer replacement for a gunite pool isn't cheap and this is such a small piece of the whole thing that I'm hoping that it can be easily fixed.

I know that my skimmer is a Waterway skimmer and from the looks of it, it seems to closely match their line of Renegade Gunite In-Ground Skimmers. In the manual's picture, you can see what the face of the skimmer is supposed to look like and you can see the little parallelogram that is means to hold the flap. Here's a picture of my current skimmer face. You can see where the plastic broke at the top.

IMG_0506.jpg

Here's a picture of the piece that broke off (viewed from the back):
IMG_0510.jpg

I thought of using something like epoxy to glue it back up there, but not sure if it'll take and/or last. It looks like there's a face-plate and this broke piece belonged to the piece of plastic behind it judging by the fact that the top of that plastic is completely smooth. Another alternative could be to add some kind of hard rubber stoppers on both sides of the skimmer to act as stoppers but I'm not sure what I'd use for that. Does anyone have any suggestion/ideas? I couldn't really find anything as far as parts were concerned that would address my issue unfortunately.

Most skimmers do not have a stop in the top of the skimmer opening. So the weir door is not laying out toward the skimmer when the pump is on? Is there foam in the back of the weir door to help it float? You can try replacing the weir door with a spring mounted one so that it will float freely in the opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.