Skimmer basket popped out of skimmer...

Aug 27, 2016
Duncanville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is there any explanation for the skimmer basket to pop up from the skimmer every time the pool turns off? I want to catch anything that could be wrong before it becomes a major issue. Basically I turned the pump off via the timer and I heard a loud sound. It was the skimmer basket that popped up as if a burst of air was pushing it from the skimmer hole. I noticed it again yesterday.

Any thoughts?

The suction of the pump keeps the basket down while the pump is running.

I've often read folks add a large heavy rock to the basket to keep it in place when they have that problem. The rock just needs to be larger than the pipe below (no chance of getting stuck in there) and not impeding the water flow in to the pipes.

Maddie :flower:

The suction of the pump keeps the basket down while the pump is running.

I've often read folks add a large heavy rock to the basket to keep it in place when they have that problem. The rock just needs to be larger than the pipe below (no chance of getting stuck in there) and not impeding the water flow in to the pipes.

Maddie :flower:
Ok thanks.

Did this just start? To have backflow from the pump pad to the skimmer when your pump shuts off you have to have air entry somewhere in your system. Did you do any work at the pump pad just before this started?

Take care.

Did this just start? To have backflow from the pump pad to the skimmer when your pump shuts off you have to have air entry somewhere in your system. Did you do any work at the pump pad just before this started?

Take care.
Yes, it just started. I came home and the skimmer was full of leaves and the pump was about 3/4 full of water instead of being completely full as normal. I assumed all the leaves blocked some of the water from flowing. Once I emptied everything I started the pump back up and everything was fine. I stopped the pump so that I could clean out the pump basket and when I turned the pump back on the skimmer basket popped up out of the skimmer.

Yesterday I went out and checked everything. The pump basket is as normal, but the skimmer basket had pooped out of place (still in the skimmer) but normally it just sits there. I don't usually have a problem with it popping out or floating around in the skimmer.

They float. Mine does. Use a rock.

One thing to check is the check valve (no pun intended). If a lot of leaves and junk got past the skimmer basket and the pump strainer, debris could clog a check valve and keep it from reseating on closure.

The main problem is air in the filter. Air is compressible and decompresses when the pump turns off.

Fixing the air issue should solve the problem. Adding a check valve between the pump and filter will help.

What is your filter pressure?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your pump and filter are below the water line, then there is likely NO check valve as it’s not needed.

I suggest a rock in the basket and you keep and eye on things for a while.

And as James noted - burp your sand filter. It may have trapped air from when the leaves plugged your skimmer and you most likely sucked some air into the system.

Take care.

I haven't had a problem before, so I assume the pump is suitable for the pool. How do I "burp" the sand filter?
80de528f6f82b78b4b550d90520f8691.jpg
b6829d51d767d9ffdfcee959ba5b273a.jpg
f00a1753186d9a921e6308f3ea6d3d85.jpg

If you have an air relief, you can use it to remove air from the filter.

The pump is over sized, but it should work.

I think that the main problem was the leaves clogging the skimmer and allowing air to get in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.