Phoenix AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Looks like our pool will clock in at 13k gallons. This may be a dumb question but maybe I just need reassuring. We will be using the Hayward aquaRite 950. 2X is 26K and their model is 25K gallon rated. Is that sufficient? Should I instead spend the extra $200 and go to the 40k gallon or is that overkill?

A 25K will work fine in a 13K pool.

A 40K cell is not overkill for a 13K pool. However the bet is you will not have a premature failure of the cell for any number of reasons.

Your cell size determines your minimum pump runtime. With a 25K cell you will need to run your pump 12 hours or more to generate sufficient chlorine. With the 40K cell your minimum pump runtime can be around 8 hours. If you have a VS pump and choose to run your pump at low speed 24/7 at low RPM that may not be much of an issue.

The cell specification life is 361 days at 100% or 8,664 hours at 100%,

A 40K cell should give you 40% more chlorine then a 25K cell. If the cell lasts its specific life then the extra $200 for 15K more chlorine is a good value.

However if the cell fails before its specified life, which some do, then it affects the value of that extra $200 you spent.

The cell specification life is 361 days at 100% or 8,664 hours at 100%,

A 40K cell should give you 40% more chlorine then a 25K cell. If the cell lasts its specific life then the extra $200 for 15K more chlorine is a good value.

However if the cell fails before its specified life, which some do, then it affects the value of that extra $200 you spent.
Ok so if I'm not running it at 100% because it is larger and runs less that means I'm extending the time it takes to get to end of life?

Reactions: Newdude
Ok so if I'm not running it at 100% because it is larger and runs less that means I'm extending the time it takes to get to end of life?

Yup, running it at 50% should give you twice as many calendar days of life as running it at 100%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.