Single speed pump vs. Variable speed pump

Yes, IMO, you made a mistake. The SWG alone justifies it. Keeping a SWG on 24x7 producing a little chlorine is a great way to get it dialed in. Check out the chart at how much you will spend running a single speed to produce chlorine. You can run it less often at a higher percent output for sure, but I have mine dialed in at 53% running 24 hours a day.

Also I suspect your builder undersized your SWG meaning you may have to run it 24x7 to get enough chlorine produced. What model did you get?
Even with my swg oversized it’s a 40. So I should be using it at 50% anyway right? Also, so is automation necessary for my set up if I did swap to a vs?

so is automation necessary for my set up if I did swap to a vs?
Nope. It’s a nice convenience but not needed. My SWG and VS pump ran on their own at whatever I set them with a few clicks. I had to adjust the SWG 3 or 4 times a season which wasted about 5 minutes total including walking to the pad time. Being able to do it from my phone wasn’t worth it to me to save those 5 minutes.

Now with a spa needing warmup time, or wanting to fire up the heater from work so the pool is a little more comfy when you get home, it’s certainly a nice feature.

Even with my swg oversized it’s a 40. So I should be using it at 50% anyway right? Also, so is automation necessary for my set up if I did swap to a vs?

40k is good then yes. Automation is not "necessary". The VSPs without automation typically include a control panel on the pump itself. But Marty's suggestion for inexpensive automation from Pentair is a great choice.

So I’m getting a new pool, 15x30, about 15,000 gallons, swg, heater, NJ so only 4 months of swim season. Nothing fancy, no spa or water features. I was on the fence because I have read about the requirements for vs pumps soon, but my pool builder talked me into staying with a single speed pump.
From what I’m told, vs pumps are complicated and with a heater and swg you aren’t able to maximize the efficiency of the vs pump. Plus not having extra features like the spa and water features it’s really not necessary. Add on top of that not using the pool all year long. As a first time pool owner I agreed that there was no reason to complicate things with the vs as I don’t know what I’m doing. I suppose I’ll find out soon, lol.Did I make a big mistake?

In my opinion, your pool builder is doing you wrong. He is trying to unload his stock of single speed pumps before he can’t sell them anymore. And trying to use fears of unknowns on people who don’t know any better. VS pumps are easy to adjust, but even if you set a VS pump as low a speed as necessary for all equipment, you are still saving money and electricity. You need a pump regardless, so why not a VS. A single speed pump should never be considered, a two speed should be your only other option.

So it’s already installed. They install the equipment when they do the plumbing. There’s no water the the pool because we are still have to do coping , tile and gunite.
how hard is it to swap out at this point? Just as much work as if we do it after this one dies or easier now then later? It’s a Pentair superflo 2 HP. They probably will charge me full price for the vs and not credit me anything for this pump I already paid for. Is it still worth doing now?

So it’s already installed. They install the equipment when they do the plumbing. There’s no water the the pool because we are still have to do coping , tile and gunite.
how hard is it to swap out at this point? Just as much work as if we do it after this one dies or easier now then later? It’s a Pentair superflo 2 HP. They probably will charge me full price for the vs and not credit me anything for this pump I already paid for. Is it still worth doing now?

I had this same issue. I switched to a VSP before they installed the equipment but word never got to the installer so they installed the single speed. For me, the fittings were identical do it was a simply matter to swap one pump for the other with no work other than physically making the swap. We had already worked out the financial details so that wasn't an issue. But you should get full credit for that pump if you swap. Is it line-itemed on your work order with a price? If they did not list a price, the builder could make up any price at all for the credit or say he'll swap the pump for the work involved installing. But, whatever, the VSP is worth whatever hassle needs to be done to get it in.

That’s the strangest thing I’ve heard. The VSP I got is less complicated than the single speed I had, though it has some fancy features I don’t use. The single speed ran full speed and was loud. To turn it off for backwashing, etc I had to shut off the circuit breaker, then remember to turn it back on and so for normal operation I just left it on all the time and didn’t have a way to automate its operation.

the VSP has 4 buttons and I just push the button for the speed I want it to run at. If I want to turn it off to backwash, I just push the button. Also, my electric bill isn’t noticeably different when the pool is open vs closed and the pump runs 24x7. The little calculator above says I’m saving $499/year compared to my old 1 speed pump and I believe it.

A Pentair Intelliconnect automation ($300) would control an Intelliflo VS pump, SWCG, heater, and a light. With Wifi connectivity.
So I’m having big regrets about not doing the vs pump at this point. Honestly I just don’t know what I’m doing, this site is very helpful and I’m trying to learn as much as I can from everyone but I have no point of reference. I’ve never owned a pool snd have no clue how it all comes together and how the components work together and need to work to maintain a pool. Once I do it once it should click but right now I’m going in blind.
The electrician is coming out next week to wire everything and now I’m trying to figure out if I can change to vs. I love your suggestion if the simple automation. Is that the only thing needed? Or is that in addition to something else? Just want to have this known before I call the pool builder and get pricing to add it. The electrician mentioned he doesn’t charge more for it because “it comes with the control panel and even though it’s more labor it’s offset by them not having to supply the panel”
If it’s too late to do the vs pump can this sand system work with my 2hp?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Intelliconnect is all that is needed, along with the SWCG and VS pump. MUST be an Intelliflo.

A sand filter will work with either pump.

My new Hayward single-speed pump and cartridge filter arrive today. Some unexpected expenses came up with the groundwork and drainage issues, so my plan for a 2-speed pump went out the window, and the one I wanted is now out of stock, anyways. I honestly don’t care. Our electric is not very expensive and I won’t be running it 24/7 unless I have to (freezing temperatures, SLAM, etc.) so I’m really not worried about it. If I had a larger pool (mine is only 7,500 gallons) or an inground pool, I would definitely splurge on a variable speed pump, or at least a 2 speed, but life happens. 🤷🏻‍♀️

If I had a larger pool (mine is only 7,500 gallons) or an inground pool, I would definitely splurge on a variable speed pump
In many situations it’s massive overkill. Just like the SWG. As great as they both are, if the pool is small, or only cost $500-$5000 (@scout123 got his for $74 !!!!!), spending $1500 on a pump or SWG just isn’t attractive enough to most people.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
In many situations it’s massive overkill. Just like the SWG. As great as they both are, if the pool is small, or only cost $500-$5000 (@scout123 got his for $74 !!!!!), spending $1500 on a pump or SWG just isn’t attractive enough to most people.
Heck no. I can’t justify spending that much on a pump for my pool. As far as SWGs go, I can understand why they appeal to so many people, regardless of pool size. I just don’t mind adding liquid chlorine daily. I know people like the softness of the saltwater, which I don’t blame them. I plan on trying borates this summer for that reason.

I know people like the softness of the saltwater, which I don’t blame them. I plan on trying borates this summer for that reason.
You can add salt for $7 a 40 lb bag without the SWG. 3 bags would bring you from 0-2000ppm and give you most if not all of the feel. Even less than 3 bags if your fill water has a trace to start.

Most people start to taste it (ever so slightly) around 3k so if you stay a chunk under that, you’re good.

You can add salt for $7 a 40 lb bag without the SWG. 3 bags would bring you from 0-2000ppm and give you most if not all of the feel. Even less than 3 bags if your fill water has a trace to start.

Most people start to taste it (ever so slightly) around 3k so if you stay a chunk under that, you’re good.
If my pool was all resin, I would give that a try. Sadly, it’s not. Only the outside of it, I think? 🥺

If my pool was all resin, I would give that a try. Sadly, it’s not. Only the outside of it, I think? 🥺
If it was 12 years old and showing it’s age, I might not tempt the rust gods even though it’s been proven that your water will have the same salt content eventually. But brand spanking new I wouldn’t even blink as I dumped some bags in.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
If it was 12 years old and showing it’s age, I might not tempt the rust gods even though it’s been proven that your water will have the same salt content eventually. But brand spanking new I wouldn’t even blink as I dumped some bags in.
Will it cloud the water? Sorry, I know nothing about saltwater pools haha

No, salt is very soluble in water
That’s what I figured. I’m just thinking about all those saltwater rinses I had to do when I’ve had toothaches in the past and the water in my glass would turn super cloudy. Apples to oranges comparison, obviously lol. I just wanted to make sure.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.