Signs of Algae at bottom of pool every morning

Yes maybe that is what it is. It is in pockets on floor again This morning . I vacuumed to waste.

At 6am my fc was 26 cya 80.

I didn’t have liquid chlorine so to get it to Slam I added 3 lbs of 73% calcium hypochlorite. Thirty minutes later fc is 36.

I’m going away for four days. so I’m dropping the water level about 30 or 40 % in hopes of bringing cya down to a safer level.

I’ll re check FC after I refill and bring fc level back to 31 or whatever the table indicates for the new SLAM target fc.

All comments are appreciated!!

It is certainly not algae. Have you added any chemistry to your pool that we don't know about?

I am sure it's not Cal-Hypo........it will turn a pool temporarily cloudy but what's in your pool looks like white sand or undissolved salt from some addition to the pool.

I only added calcium hypochlorite 3 lbs & 5lbs.
Liquid chlorine 3 gallons
And after I cleaned my filter I refilled the DE with the proper amount. Plus maintenance dose (4 oz of conquest) - probably a waste due to high FC readings

It’s not a salt pool -so zero salt added

From what you are asking I guess that’s the logical choice.

If you interested I also have a current thread titled “ metals”

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just bought 3 gallons of 10 at $7 per gallon from local hardware store. Does that seem high or reasonable .
Walmart 10% ("Pool Essentials" brand) is $4.97/gallon

Home Depot 10% (same brand as Walmart's chlorine) is $4.50 a gallon

Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid, 10%, KIK Pool Additives Inc., 5160 East Airport Drive, Ontario, CA 91761-7824
UPC 014746645128
Home - Pool Essentials

Home Depot also sells HDX 10% chlorine (which I suspect is just another label from the same company) in boxes for $4.99/gallon.

My beef with those unboxed (Walmart) and boxed (Home Depot) 10% bleach bottles compared to hasa cases is they pollute too much.

Reactions: gnhand
Walmart 10% ("Pool Essentials" brand) is $4.97/gallon

Home Depot 10% (same brand as Walmart's chlorine) is $4.50 a gallon

Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid, 10%, KIK Pool Additives Inc., 5160 East Airport Drive, Ontario, CA 91761-7824
UPC 014746645128
Home - Pool Essentials

Home Depot also sells HDX 10% chlorine (which I suspect is just another label from the same company) in boxes for $4.99/gallon.

My beef with those unboxed (Walmart) and boxed (Home Depot) 10% bleach bottles compared to hasa cases is they pollute too much.
Thank you - I ended up getting 12% at a pool supply store for an average cost of about $6 / gallon

Last night I did a oclt test and less than 1 chlorine loss .

This morning at 7:30 my chemicals were as follows :

FC. 6.4
CC. .2
CYA. 40
PH. 7.4
Alk. 110
Ch. 290

This afternoon. I have zero FC. - what can be the issue? And what should I do??
The pool has a slight cloudy look to it.

Reactions: IceShadow
Last night I did a oclt test and less than 1 chlorine loss .

This morning at 7:30 my chemicals were as follows :

FC. 6.4
CC. .2
CYA. 40
PH. 7.4
Alk. 110
Ch. 290

This afternoon. I have zero FC. - what can be the issue? And what should I do??
The pool has a slight cloudy look to it.
As per your PM logs you can't have a CYA of 42, if its not 40 then call it 50. The afternoon FC loss doesn't look right. what are you doing.

As per your PM logs you can't have a CYA of 42, if its not 40 then call it 50. The afternoon FC loss doesn't look right. what are you doing.
I have been fighting metal staining - Sunday I added metal free

Other than that I’ve been working on getting my CYA between 40 & 50 which it is. Yesterday my CYA look to be lower than 30 so I added liquid stabizer - hence now it rounds up to 50.

I posted the chlorine readings last nite and this morning.

I just double checked them to be zero. I’m about to add 115 oz of liquid shock per pool math

When I add 12% liquid chlorine it looked milky white and 25 minutes later the pool is cloudy??

Last edited:
are you sure about that CH reading? high CH can cause liquid chlorine to cloud. I know you were using cal-hypo, so just a thought.
Yes I have checked several times .

I was told by two pool professionals that high phosphates which I do have can cause liquid chlorine to to cause the water to get cloudy. I know that TFP says to ignore phosphates.

But what else can be the cause. I added chlorine earlier this evening now it’s midnight and my pool is totally cloudy.

These are my readings now at took sample at about 11:55 pm :
My FC 6.0& CC. Is .2
Ph is 7.6
Alk. 110
CH. 280
CYA. 50

It is very frustrating- the only chemical that a little high is alkalinity- should be 90

You’re currently seeing cloudy water again because you’re flirting with an algae bloom. I see from you pool math logs your FC is frequently below minimum and often to zero. Until you maintain FC religiously in the 6-8ppm range (based on your 50 CYA) for FC (that means NO excursions below 6), you will wrestle with cloudy water and algae growth.
Phosphates are only relevant if you provide a place for algae to grow (low/no chlorine) then it is a food source for them. But reducing phosphates will not rid you of algae, only FC can do that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.