New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just wanted to know if anyone has any ideas. On how I can prevent the cover pump and hose from freezing when it snows over 12”. I’ve read about heater water hoses, but that still doesn’t solve the issue of the pump being completely covered by snow.

Pump is useless once temperature gets below freezing at night. I removed my pumps and brought them inside. Left the hoses out. If we get a big thaw I will put the pumps back out.

I found if the pumps get buried in snow they eventually start tripping the GFCI and need to be replaced. Bringing the pumps inside saves them.

Thanks for the info. I realized the issue was the actual hose the froze. I actually read on another forum about heated hoses with a thermostatic switch. Just ordered one. Let’s see if it helps.

I was wondering how much water is too much to leave on top of my solid winter cover. This is our first winter with the pool and cover installed. I've been unplugging the pump when it freezes and plugging it in when it thaws. Now, that we're headed for a hard freeze, I guess I should bring the pump in?

I was wondering how much water is too much to leave on top of my solid winter cover. This is our first winter with the pool and cover installed. I've been unplugging the pump when it freezes and plugging it in when it thaws. Now, that we're headed for a hard freeze, I guess I should bring the pump in?

Yup, bring your pump in.

Your cover can handle the weight of 4 feet or more of snow. That is equivalent to 5 inches of water.

When I get a nice thaw and water on the cover I connect the pump, pump off the water, and then bring the pump back inside.

Reactions: SecoSteve
Thank you for your replies. I actually read through another thread here and someone recommended a heated water hose, which is normally used for potable water in RV’s during winter months. I connected it and it works great. Tip: loop it around the pump once or twice and it never allows ice to puddle. It also has a thermostatic switch; however, I used an outdoor wifi controlled outlet for turning it on and off. 👍🏽👍🏽

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.