Significant Builder Delays

uvavi8r

Gold Supporter
Aug 8, 2020
Falls Church, VA
Is anyone else seeing the same? We signed a contract and put a deposit down back in Oct for a fiberglass install, original install date was supposed to be mid-Dec, got pushed to late Feb due to manufacturing slow downs (COVID related) which I understood, then it was the 1st week of March, another delay with no explanation...and it has basically been pushed each week based on excuses from the installer...I thought we were pretty locked in for starting to dig on Monday...called today to verify, nope, not happening...weather & wind. I get it that things happen that delay installs, but this is on the tad ridiculous side, my permits are expiring in a few weeks (and they are NOT easy to get in my area).

I am frustrated enough that I am considering finding a different installer (dependent of whether or not I can get my fairly substantial deposit back). We have installers in the area that aren't working b/c the shell manufacturers can't keep up with the demand signal. I guess I am lucky that I have a shell sitting at the manufacturer waiting for the hole to be dug. My concern is that if I go with a different installer, my pool isn't warrantied by the shell manufacturer.

I am curious if other are seeing the "estimated" install dates shift this much.

I know we are now in the world of instant gratification, and delays happen, I just would appreciate some honest and transparent communication.

Rant over

We are still in the planning phase but we cannot get builders to meet with us for initial consultations for 3 months. They also say they most likely would not be able to start until the beginning of next year. There is a shortage of materials, building supplies, labor, etc at least in central Texas. We are considering putting the entire project on hold until the market calms down.

That is the thing that is so frustrating...I have EVERYTHING but the builder...Equipment & pad are done, I have the white goods and the shell is ready, UGH. And I think the thing that REALLY chaps me...is that the ONLY reason I sent the installer deposit, is because they said they were going to show up (2nd week of March).

We signed our contract in October as well and were told the dig would start in mid-December. It didn't happen until April 1. Then they said it would be a week before the next sub was on the job. It's been 3 weeks so far and nobody has even bothered to contact us to give us an update. They told us the total time from dig to swimming would be 10-12 weeks. I'm guessing it's going to be at least double that. PB just says "the whole pool industry is slammed right now" and then goes back to ignoring us. Very frustrating.

One of my neighbors had to wait a year before the builder finally broke ground, which was a few weeks ago. Another neighbor had the pool excavated several months ago and they're still waiting on gunite. I can't imagine having a huge hole in the ground for months.

Hey Wes,
Luis introduced me to the installer today and he informed me the install is May 3rd. Back when I signed contracts before the winter we agreed on April 15th, but that was months ahead so I understand that wouldn't hold. I've told my coping and patio contractors that delays will be coming and they have been very easy to work with and said they can get over within a week of the installers finishing up, and break from the job they are on.

Electrician and Plumber have the pad all setup and said they can come back to hook everything up, but as I understand the pool installer will do all that, but good to know it's possible. Fence guy put 3/4 in and left a gap for equipment. He will come back before the build to install the temporary fence for us to put up each night since my city requires a very specific barrier if their is over 18 inches of water and since this is fiberglass, there will be over 18 inches in it the entire construction period.

We will see where we are a month from now!

Kevin

We were lucky but it is our second build this the same company. Contract signed mid December and excavation started early April. My pool builder warned me that gunite supply was an issue in Houston due to COVID and some suppliers closing down shop all together. I was prepared for an open pit for a few weeks. Luckily a few days after excavation, my pool builder called me at 6am and said a gunite company was on the way to another job but due to recent localized rain they had cave-ins. They had to drop their guinte someplace and we got lucky. Been watering and waiting for plumbing, electrical, etc. now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Friends gave a deposit of $10k to a builder last winter - still awaiting construction. Oh and they have to pull the permits themselves. I asked my wife if they have plans to pull that permit with and the answer was no. They will never get this built.

This is what happens hen people do not take my advice. :)

Follow up for my original post, we are now almost 60 days past the deposit date for the installation and there is ZERO communication from the installer. I have a local installer that has agreed and can install the shell. My question, is based on the following, original "estimated" install date was the last week of December, massive delays that drove things into March (sort of understandable, COVID, holidays, etc...), final payment for shell and install (minus hold back) made based on March 11 install. We are now bumping up into permits expiring and no confirmation from installer when the install will start. I was told on 01 APR "We are able to refund everything if you like. All payments received to deliver and install the pool. Rentals paid for, Etc. I'll speak with him today and get an update. If your wanting to cancel and get your full refund we can do that as well." When we were delayed for the 4th time, I asked for a refund, I was denied. I am considering filing a BBB complaint and reaching out to my attorney to get the refund for the installer deposit. Is it worth engaging an attorney to get this resolved (I either want the install to start next week (03 May) or my installer deposit back)?

Truth in lending, my brother owned a pool company in Indiana and sold it a while back, so I get some of the "normal" delays...we are well beyond that in my opinion, especially when the installer has the 75% deposit.

I know bringing attorneys into the mix is bad for everyone, but I am seriously doubting the reliability of information that is being provided by the sales rep that sold me the pool. And honestly, if it wasn't the 75% deposit, I would eat the loss, comment on BBB and social media and move on, I am just not ready to set $10K on fire right now. The company is a nationally recognized company, I hoping some good news comes my way this weekend, but I am not counting on it.

Super frustrated right now with the ethics involved with the sales rep and most importantly the installer.

Follow up for my original post, we are now almost 60 days past the deposit date for the installation and there is ZERO communication from the installer. I have a local installer that has agreed and can install the shell. My question, is based on the following, original "estimated" install date was the last week of December, massive delays that drove things into March (sort of understandable, COVID, holidays, etc...), final payment for shell and install (minus hold back) made based on March 11 install. We are now bumping up into permits expiring and no confirmation from installer when the install will start. I was told on 01 APR "We are able to refund everything if you like. All payments received to deliver and install the pool. Rentals paid for, Etc. I'll speak with him today and get an update. If your wanting to cancel and get your full refund we can do that as well." When we were delayed for the 4th time, I asked for a refund, I was denied. I am considering filing a BBB complaint and reaching out to my attorney to get the refund for the installer deposit. Is it worth engaging an attorney to get this resolved (I either want the install to start next week (03 May) or my installer deposit back)?

Truth in lending, my brother owned a pool company in Indiana and sold it a while back, so I get some of the "normal" delays...we are well beyond that in my opinion, especially when the installer has the 75% deposit.

I know bringing attorneys into the mix is bad for everyone, but I am seriously doubting the reliability of information that is being provided by the sales rep that sold me the pool. And honestly, if it wasn't the 75% deposit, I would eat the loss, comment on BBB and social media and move on, I am just not ready to set $10K on fire right now. The company is a nationally recognized company, I hoping some good news comes my way this weekend, but I am not counting on it.

Super frustrated right now with the ethics involved with the sales rep and most importantly the installer.
Why was 75% of the pool paid for without getting the pool at least set in the ground? I understand that at least 50% needs put down. I did that too. That was 33k out the door to order my fiberglass pool, equipment and slide. My PB told me my next payment isn't due until the pool is set (25%) and my last payment (25%) is due upon completion. I was just told by my PB that we are 3 weeks behind now. The only thing done was pool was ordered with equipment and slide. No digging, and a zoning permit was secured. I still have to get my building permit.

I am sorry, it was bad math...Installation payment schedule was 25% when the contract was signed to start the construction of the shell (it was my understanding this was to "get them on the hook"), then an additional 40% when the shell was complete and the installation was a week out...so basically a 1/3 hold back. Well, the install has been slipping for 2 months now. I am going to work with the agent that set up the installers and work to get my installation deposit back, the shell is sitting in the Knoxville yard taking up space, and I have a local installer that is ready to go now. The above was for installation only, the shell had to be paid for in full once it was complete.

We signed our contract in mid-Aug last year.

Pool is just now getting filled with water and our equipment already failed. It has been a constant parade of bad luck, bad timing, wrong assumptions, contractor disappearing acts and poor management.

Landscaping won't be done for at least another month.

It's rough out there. Good luck to you!

It’s nuts here right here also. My builder is completely back logged and is having equipment nightmares since last summer. My buddy’s and all my dad’s buddy’s are in the trades. Swamped. They all didn’t even have to bid a job in over a year. They all said people are throwing money at them. People don’t even want estimates just come and do the work. For real. Hey government keeps giving it out so people keep spending it. I’m happy they are all working cause first few months of pandemic shut them down but now it’s full force. I have been waiting for my one buddy to work with me on my theatre and I can’t even get him to give me a weekend and if he did I would feel bad cause he is non stop.

Reactions: Dori123
We signed contract in February. The PB broke ground in March. We have plumbing, equipment and conduit ran. Rebar laid. Now we have an open hole since March and the PB is telling us September before shotcrete. We also got hit with at $3600 estimate for cave in due to weather.
Original shotcrete was scheduled for July before summer storms, but the PB could not pass pre-gunite inspection. We are now in disagreement over who is responsible for the storm cave ins as they are claiming soil conditions in the contract.
MotoB

I feel bad for all you folks still waiting on your pool build AFTER you already gave a deposit....seriously. That's one thing that makes my blood boil is when they have no problem communicating at the beginning, but once they have your money in their hands, then radio silence for weeks after that. Not just with pool builders, but with any contract companies.

I've watched my neighbor's progress. Contract in Dec 2020, dug early January. Filled with water last week, after the gunite shell had been sitting with accumulated rainwater for nearly three months. Assuming it works everywhere like it does here, the pool builder is primarily just a contractor--does none of the work himself. Accordingly, he may be sincere in his timetable, but he's at the mercy of his subs. Some contractors have favorite subs--due to quality of their work (or maybe just pricing!) When my pool was built, a neighbor two doors down started the same time. He was furious when he saw the gunite company he had been promised at my house, and his builder using someone else. Pool builders are like a box of chocolates...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.