Signed the contract this morning, New build Orange County, CA

Titan, I would email your PB to express your concern about the shelf being too small. That way it is in writing! A FOOT is a lot more than is normal I THINK.

Do everything in your power to be there when they do the steel. Your plaster will be ABOUT 3 inches above the steel to give you a reference for when they do start it. Make sure to talk to your steel people about your concern even if you have to use a drawing and tape measure to show them how big it should be.

Better safe than sorry. We had one build where they made a shelf instead of a beach entry BUT because the owner was there watching he was able to have the correct it RIGHT then instead of having to call them back out.

Kim

Finally broke ground yesterday, excavators here again today and tomorrow. There was 1100 SF of old concrete to tear out. All seems to be going well, I think steel will go in Friday and plumbing Monday/Tuesday. The baja shelf looked a foot short, they told me with steel and shotcrete that will make up the difference. They told me the seats and shells are 100% to final spec with the dirt. I have been taking photos, will post some this weekend. They think shotcrete will go in the first week in December. Need to finalize pebble finish, it's between Aqua and tropics blue.

Excavation is typically required to be 18" (min) below the original grade of the area. If you are looking to have a shallow shelf, the only way to make this up is with additional shotcrete. You definitely want it to be this way because of the amount of stress that is placed on the transition between the reef and the area directly adjacent to it. Imagine the deep end having 50-70 thousand pounds of weight from the water, and the reef with under 5,000 pounds of weight. The additional shotcrete provides additional insurance...its unfortunate that insurance will come with a price, but it is a small amount in the scheme of things.

I like shallow reefs, and the last few I've done have ended up being 16-20" thick due to the prior grade.

When they do the shotcrete, make sure you meet up with the head guy that has the receiver and rod for the rotary laser and make him aware of the specific depths you are looking for. He is the one that the remainder of the workers will base the finial elevations off of.

Why has it taken so long to start?

The pool is 3.5 to 5.5ft deep, the current excavation is 9" deeper than the finished depth will be after shotcrete and plaster. The banding around the pool is the tile line. They used some laser thing on a tripod. The front edge of the Baja shelf is about 18" short or the finished width, they said that is filled with shotcrete which I believe addresss the pressure issue. Edit, just measured the depth of the Baja step, it's 30" from waterline to current excavation level, the finished depth will be about 12-15 inches.

Brian, we had a week delay as I had to travel for work, they started Monday morning finished today. Looks pretty good, they did excavate and lower the pool below the original grade. The pool is 3.5 to 5.5ft deep, the current excavation is 9" deeper than the finished depth will be after shotcrete and plaster. The banding around the pool is the tile line. They used some laser thing on a tripod. I will be here for shotcrete.
C4AD5C6E-4AA0-4B9D-9B92-61BBBEE84C4F_zps50jrrhbo.jpg

92480230-8DC8-4BD4-9E75-7FEA2498B3F7_zpsp0ojfng9.jpg

181B5A8F-218F-4CBF-AE80-7CCD5F314075_zps5i3utdhh.jpg

83407B6E-C2AA-48B4-9654-6F3F046F06C4_zpse23p51q8.jpg

BE1B9309-A094-420B-B604-B9ADCA9C0569_zps3pqdfayu.jpg

Islas & Sons excavation, Joey was one of the son leading to project. They were a top notch crew. Clean polite, went smoothly. They were only of the only PB that excavated the Baja shelf and benches, everyone else wanted to just shot the in place with shotcrete.

Back to your small grassy area to the right of the pool, they make some pretty realistic fake grass now, we considered it for around the pool, if people (kids) run through it and jump in, no muddy dirty feet, never needs mowed, always looks great!

If you haven't already done so, it'd be wise to get going on having your PB to set up viewings of his prior pool builds where tropics blue and aqua blue were the finishes. I failed to do this and found myself running up against a deadline to pick the finish, which caused a fair amount of anxiety. Fortunately, my PB was able to refer me to a modified tropics blue at the last minute that I really liked. Slept like a baby from that night forward.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finally broke ground yesterday, excavators here again today and tomorrow. There was 1100 SF of old concrete to tear out. All seems to be going well, I think steel will go in Friday and plumbing Monday/Tuesday. The baja shelf looked a foot short, they told me with steel and shotcrete that will make up the difference. They told me the seats and shells are 100% to final spec with the dirt. I have been taking photos, will post some this weekend. They think shotcrete will go in the first week in December. Need to finalize pebble finish, it's between Aqua and tropics blue.

If you want to see the Aqua Blue, check out my build. Just acid washed today and fill is in progress. I added abalone shell.

Will be watching you pool, Aqua is a strong contender. We were given the choice of Aqua or Tropics with (abalone in the mix) for the same price.

I'll post pics of the finish once it's full but I can already tell, it needs a little more abalone. Too late for me but I would ask them add at least one more bag over the standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im watching your thread...I am most likely going with a complete Jandy system including the piping including the Versa Plumb. I initially had some second thoughts about the JXi heater, but I like the increased efficiency and I used to be a commercial mechanical contractor - so there is not much I can not fix if it goes down. I think my only remaining concern is that the Jandy has an induced draft and has a combustion fan motor (which means increased noise) vs. a Raypak heater with almost no moving parts, so it is quieter. I need to stuff my equipment close to the property line and don't want any noise issues.

How are you going to fill your pool? I think you are SCE, but with DWP we get hit with a 60% "sewer service charge" of the water bill. So if I fill with city water it is like incurring a 60% tax. Maybe I can get a tanker truck to fill?

Im watching your thread...I am most likely going with a complete Jandy system including the piping including the Versa Plumb. I initially had some second thoughts about the JXi heater, but I like the increased efficiency and I used to be a commercial mechanical contractor - so there is not much I can not fix if it goes down. I think my only remaining concern is that the Jandy has an induced draft and has a combustion fan motor (which means increased noise) vs. a Raypak heater with almost no moving parts, so it is quieter. I need to stuff my equipment close to the property line and don't want any noise issues.

How are you going to fill your pool? I think you are SCE, but with DWP we get hit with a 60% "sewer service charge" of the water bill. So if I fill with city water it is like incurring a 60% tax. Maybe I can get a tanker truck to fill?

In Mesa, AZ we just submit a form once the pool is filled and they credit the sewer charge because the water is not discharged into the city system. Check with you city....

We are with SCE for electricity, city of Fullerton for H20. I figure it's gonna be what it's gonna be, I have a fire hydrant in front of the house, I may call the fire dept and work a deal, lol.

Steel was finished today, plumbing, electricity, gas next week, looking at shotcrete the following week.
3535BEF4-9809-49E7-BB37-7CA6D622815B_zpsixmw5iqy.jpg

2844C085-BB75-4C33-A574-549151851C32_zpstnrkuxcs.jpg

B89CB081-7FA7-48E9-8487-6D3A891E502F_zpsjs9hmn9x.jpg

93722E3D-38B1-420F-AB34-EBA87B0AB821_zps6vcdohzu.jpg

719B0932-BC32-4C20-BD1A-D644E2393506_zpsynrwyai5.jpg

16F0EABC-54B3-428C-BA62-5C8771AF2ED5_zpsfdmzdeub.jpg

In Mesa, AZ we just submit a form once the pool is filled and they credit the sewer charge because the water is not discharged into the city system. Check with you city....

Must be nice. The City of L.A. views its residents as ATM machines - so I doubt it...but will certainly check. Thanks for the tip.

^ those concrete squares that hold the steel framing off of the dirt are called "dobies". Tell your steel guy you think you need more dobies, so he thinks you are in the know :D (I don't think you do, I'm just sayin')...

those concrete squares that hold the steel framing off of the dirt are called "dobies". Tell your steel guy you think you need more dobies, so he thinks you are in the know :D (I don't think you do, I'm just sayin')...

Yeah, I thought the same think, he said we don't, I guess if it passes inspection I am fine as all the do is hold the rebar off the dirt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.