*sigh* new pool owner and mustard algae

kbarron2

May 7, 2021
atl
I am a 1.5 year new above ground pool owner and I believe i have mustard algae. oak trees and heavy rains turned a clear pool into to a clear-ish one with algae blooms on the bottom. Looks like sand, but reappeared just hours after i vacuumed the pool. I don't own a test kit. Used the Clorox kit last year and guesstimated everything. IMPORTANT: I will order a Taylor K2006 C kit today, but it won't get here for 5 days.

when I fully drained, sanitized (because i didn't cover the pool during wintertime), and added water last week, and once the clean city water was mid-way of the return, I turned the sand filter pump on. it spurted out what i thought was sand, so i unplugged, backwashed, and filtered to waste with hopes that any sand would push out of the pipe lines. The lines cleared and no more sand spurted into the water. We had severe rains early in the week, but i kept the pump going. i added 2 gals of liquid chlorine while it was raining. I vacuumed out debris and what i thought was sand yesterday early morning (6:30a) but by 3p, the sand/algae reappeared, plus there is a slick look to the surface of the water. *sigh*

In following SLAM method, i need to test. But if i can't get my kit until next week, what should i do in the meantime? we are expecting rain again early next week (before i receive my K2600c kit) and i don't want to end up with mustard algae again before i get my kit.

Welcome to the forum.
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

When you get your kit, run a full set of water chemistry tests and post the results here.
Fill out your signature in the mean time. It really helps us help you.

Bitte :)

First step is obtaininng one of the two test kits we endorse, either the TF-100/T-100pro (my fav) or the Taylor K 2006C. The "C" nominclature is important as that kit has volume of reagents most similar to the TF-100. Other K 2006 versions have smaller reagent bottles. Both use the same Taylor reagents but the TF-100 is cheaper and more in line in reagent quantities than the K2006C.

Send us a pic of your pool. What equipment do you have?

Maddie :flower:
I'm a novice. In an above ground pool (holds 7700 gallons), are the larger reagent bottles necessary? Could I get away with just the K2006?

I'm a novice. In an above ground pool (holds 7700 gallons), are the larger reagent bottles necessary? Could I get away with just the K2006?
Get the K2006C - or the TF100 from TFTestkits.net which is a better value.

The small K2006 has less reagents, especially those you will use a lot of such as the FAS-DPD and CYA tests. The TF100 has more reagent for those tests and less for the TA, CH, etc that you will not use much of.

The small K2006 has less reagents, especially those you will use a lot of such as the FAS-DPD and CYA tests. The TF100 has more reagent for those tests and less for the TA, CH, etc that you will not use much of.
done. thanks for the help. Ordered the TF100.

Welcome to the forum.
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

When you get your kit, run a full set of water chemistry tests and post the results here.
last question... sorry... what is "ppm"?

Welcome to the forum.

thanks for the suggestion. My kit arrived today and I tested the water and the chlorine measures at 5ppm. I guess i was lucky with the amount I added. I've also cleaned the pool of the algae. we are expecting rain over the net few days so I have a net covering it with the hope it catches all the "stuff" from the oak trees.

i appreciate the support here.

I received my kit and it has rained for the past few days. Prior to raining, I tested and my FC was at 5 ppm.
Today is sunny and I tested. Results are as follows (after multiple tests to validate my work)
FC: 1
CYA: less than 20
PH 7.5

I know I need to add liquid chlorine. I have a gallon and will be purchasing more over the weekend, but how much liquid chlorine do I need to add? the weather in ATL is chilly and it's not yet time to swim, but I want to get a handle on this before it gets warmer.

I am happy to support that after about 2 weeks of commuting to the tfp methods and your suggestions and direction, my cya is 50 and my ph is 7.5 and my chlorine is 5ppm. This week, I’ve tested the cya 1 time and the chlorine 3 times.
The pool math is a GREAT help.
Thank you all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.