Side Wall Suction Feed

BluePool203

Sep 27, 2019
Connecticut
I bought a house with an in ground pool last year. It has one skimmer and a side wall suction feed to the pump. It also has two returns. When I bought the house the side wall feed was capped off. Last year when I closed the pool I never opened it. This summer when I opened the pool I left it capped. This year I’m closing the pool and I drained the water down so that the water is a few inches below the skimmer and the two returns, but the water is still above the suction feed. I’m wondering if I open up the side wall suction feed now what would be the worst thing to happen? Right now I’m guessing the line is full of antifreeze and water. If the water level drops then I would know if the line is broke. If the water level doesn’t go down, then am I safe in thinking the line is okay? Does the pool pump need to be running to build up pressure in the line to get the water to leak if the line is broken?

Thanks in advance for the help.

The sidewall suction is for a suction side vacuum. It needs to be capped off when not in use. It is dangerous to leave uncapped with the pump running.

I would leave it capped.

Thanks I didn't now it was used for a vacuum and that it should be capped when not in use.

Since I'm closing the pool, should I open it to check the line? If the water level doesn't drop then I know it's good. I could then blow the line and cap it off and pour antifreeze down it?

I do not have experience in winterizing pools. I would say you should winterize that line.

@ajw22 may be able to give you some more detailed guidance.

Yes, you should winterize that line. That cap is probably not perfectly waterproof as it doesn’t make a difference when the pool is running. Blow it out, winterize it, and plug it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.