Shrinkage cracks in paving coper and tile...

PoolBrews

Oct 16, 2019
The Villages, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I started this as a PM to ajw22, and he suggested that I post on the forum so others could learn from this as well.

ajw22 replied with the following information:
  • Those look like shrinkage and no indication of cracking.
  • The coping gaps is usually Type S mortar and not grout.
  • Cut out what is there and refill or put some new over the old to fill the spaces.
  • You need to drop the water level below the tile line to regrout it.
I would still like to know if there is any issue with leaving it alone? Or do I need to fill this in ASAP?

My pool is 3 years old. I have no cracks in tiles or wall, but I do have 2 coping pavers where I can see the grout has separated from one side of the pavers and from the side of a tile. My PB said not to worry. Should I be worried?

Pic of top of Paver:

Paver and Tile.jpg
Pic looking down into pool - I can see where grout has separated from side of tile.
Paver Top.jpg
Any help would be appreciated!

Your pool is in a cage and you are in FL where you get little freezing risk.

Leaving the cracks open lets water get behind the tiles which can cause damage if the water freezes and expands. Over time water behind tile can erode the thinset and cause tiles to come loose. None of these are immediate concerns in your area but could cause long term problems.

It is less then a day of work to redo those joints with a coat of grout.

I think you will find it needs to be done every few years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.