Shrink Wrap Pool fliter & equipment for winter?

fallenstar01

Jun 1, 2019
Delaware
New pool owner here, in northern Delaware. We want to have our pool professionally closed for winter since this is our first year with it. There are ton of different packages to choose from, including having the filter and equipment shrink wrapped (with vents). Is this over kill? We don't have a cover over the equipment, or a tarp of any kind. Does it even need to be covered at all?
Also, they offer different types of chemicals to put in before and during winterizing. D-Iron, a kit with Phosphate remover and algicide, a chlorine extender, etc. How do you guys with chlorine, in-ground concrete pool, treat the water before closing the pool?

I think shrink wrap is overkill. My pool equipment has sat out in the Northeast winters for 30 years with no problem. And wraps and covers can provide nests for mice to camp out in and do lots of damage.

The only algaecide you want at winterization is Polyquat 60.

Reactions: fallenstar01
I'd hate to add more plastic to the landfills, and agree with Allen that its overkill and makes a warm dry place for rodents.

Some folks actually remove their pumps and store them for the winter. I don't know if that's necessary really, and you have to installed the pump with unions initially to allow this, but it can't hurt.

One thing I remind you of- we recommend folks to "Close Late, Open Early!" which means close after the water temp reaches 60, so supposedly you've cared for it up till then and then open when it reaches 60 degrees so if it needs cleaning up you can do it before it warms up and be done.

Maddie :flower:

I bring my filter and pump inside for winter, where the equipment is located snow sliding off the roof of the house could slam down on them if I left them there. Probably wouldn't be good having the pump buried in snow either. The only special chemical for winter that gets added to my pool is marine antifreeze for the skimmer/main drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.