Should we gel coat?

DJohnson22

Apr 8, 2024
Middle Georgia
Hello, I have a 1950s concrete pool that was covered in fiberglass in the early 2000s and has a white coating. We bought this house in 2020 and it's our first pool. I noticed a couple of years ago that the coating seemed to be wearing down. Last year we weren't able to open the pool due to finances, but we are back on our feet now and want to clean up our swamp of a thousand frogs. My husband wants to drain it and start fresh, and so we are going to do some work on it while we have it empty. We don't have a huge budget so we would like something we can do ourselves but that will last a good amount of years. My husband and I are meticulous, so I'm hoping there is a doable option for us to refinish or coat our pool with something. I've heard gel coat, but then I see some say it only lasts a year, others say 10 years, so not sure where to even begin. Is a gel coat the same as an apoxy? Am I able to purchase these things without a license? We're also replacing the tile as it was leaking and breaking off, is there a recommended pool grout as well? All help is really appreciated.

Welcome to TFP! The method used to coat your pool surface could vary depending on the condition of the underlying concrete/gunnite that was applied and of course your budget. I suppose you could go one of three ways really, and a local contractor may have a preference as well:
1 - Remove all the existing coating and apply a plaster surface (should last ~ 20-25 years)
2 - Prep the existing fiberglass, then apply a new gelcoat (should last ~ 15-20 years)
3 - Install a vinyl liner (should last at least ~10-15 years)

Those longevity numbers are very general and a lot has to do with the quality of the product/application and how well the owner maintains the chemistry. Whichever method you use, be very careful about draining a pool completely unless the work is backed by and insured by a contractor should the pool shell itself begin to shift or try to pop out.

Hope that helps.

I think whoever told you gelcoat only lasts 1 year was mistaking it for paint. As Pat says, gelcoat, professionally applied, should last 15-20 years. "Professionally applied" is the key here - a DIY job will likely lasts less unless you really know what you are doing.

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks, we're going with a gel coat and we will DIY, but not the sloppy DIY, we've already been on the phone with the manufacturer and have all the details for prep and application. IF we could find someone to do it for us, we would, but we've tried since 2020 to get someone to work on our pool and they never show up to appointments to give estimates, so a professional application isn't possible. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: PuyRobin
Thanks, we're going with a gel coat and we will DIY, but not the sloppy DIY, we've already been on the phone with the manufacturer and have all the details for prep and application. IF we could find someone to do it for us, we would, but we've tried since 2020 to get someone to work on our pool and they never show up to appointments to give estimates, so a professional application isn't possible. Thanks for the help