Should My Sand Filter O-Ring With a Protrusion Be Installed like the letter "p" or the letter "d" ?

Sep 7, 2018
Jersey Shore
I have an Intex Sand Filter Model SF90110T, and while I have never have problems before, I am now questioning my sanity. I changed the sand out, and the main O-Ring that runs under the lid with the multi-way valve is shaped like the lower case letter "b" - it has a fin that runs around the inner surface. I am having problems with the seal at this point, and I am wondering if I have the installation wrong. The manuals make no mention of this fin, but I THINK that it was facing downward into the groove, installed like the letter "p". Does anyone know for sure?

I am sorry, I took no photos, but I resolved the issue by trial and error. The gasket is square-shaped and has a flange that protrudes downward into the recessed channel that runs around the rim of the sand filter chamber. The correct orientation is "p" not "b", with the flange pointing downward, not upward. My gasket had also stretched out , so I cut it with an xacto knife, installed in place, and made the 2nd cut with 1/4" of overlap, and than compressed the rubber, shoving it into the channel, and glued the two ends to each other with the automotive adhesive "Goop", which is great for weather-stripping repair.

I let it dry for a few hours in the sun, and then dabbed some silicone caulk on the joint area, and put the lid/control valve back on. No drips at all.

I need to order a new gasket, but this keeps me running until it arrives. Looks like the max lifespan on these filter gaskets is 3 years, as I treat these plastic toys very gently, but change out sand every 2 months.

When you do replace, can you post a photo here in this thread? I’m struggling to picture what you mean!

I am sorry, I took no photos, but I resolved the issue by trial and error. The gasket is square-shaped and has a flange that protrudes downward into the recessed channel that runs around the rim of the sand filter chamber. The correct orientation is "p" not "b", with the flange pointing downward, not upward. My gasket had also stretched out , so I cut it with an xacto knife, installed in place, and made the 2nd cut with 1/4" of overlap, and than compressed the rubber, shoving it into the channel, and glued the two ends to each other with the automotive adhesive "Goop", which is great for weather-stripping repair.

I let it dry for a few hours in the sun, and then dabbed some silicone caulk on the joint area, and put the lid/control valve back on. No drips at all.

I need to order a new gasket, but this keeps me running until it arrives. Looks like the max lifespan on these filter gaskets is 3 years, as I treat these plastic toys very gently, but change out sand every 2 months.
why do you change your sand every 2 months???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.