Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We always have our pool closed by the PB. We've had a lot of rain, so I've been siphoning out some water. I peeked and the light (big type) is still installed. I thought in prior years they had removed the light, but I could be wrong.

Is it enough to have the water below the returns or does it need to be below the light?

Thanks.

You can do any of several things.

If you do not have hard freezes you probably do not want to drain the water below the light. Keep it several inches above the light to protect it.

If it gets really cold you may want to drain below the light to blow out the light conduit (or at least let it drain. Just set the light on the side of the pool covered with a bucket. You may need to do this so ice does not cause a problem with your conduit.

I live in NH so it gets cold. Temps often don't go above 30 for months at a time and sub-zero for at least 1 or 2 weeks each winter is pretty common.

I don't want to take the mesh cover off, so what if I just drain to below the light, but leave the light in?

If you drain below the light, then the water level will continually need to be managed. If you left the water well above the light, it might not freeze that low, but that depends on the kind of winter we get. If you have the tool to remove a corner of the spring-loaded cover, then its probably easiest in the long run to go ahead and pop the light out noe, wrap it in some old towels and place on deck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.