Should I worry about my dogs ripping the outside of a Summer Waves metal frame pool?

angelosica

Mar 5, 2021
New Jersey
My wife and I are considering getting a 42" Summer Waves pool for the kids. We have 2 dogs, but no intention of letting them into the pool. We are, however, concerned with the dogs possibly ripping the liner from the side. Is this a legitimate concern? Are the liners thick/durable pvc? Ive read the reviews on the frame-less types that say the liner part is thicker pvc (possibly woven with fiberglass?), but the top inflatable ring is thin plastic.

One dog is a 1-year-old beagle/pitbull mix. He's well trained, but is still young and sometimes gets out of control playing until he is corrected. The other is a 6-month old boxer mix, that is, well, a puppy still lol. We buff their nails, but the fact of the matter is, they are both strong dogs.

Neither of the dogs is aggressive, nor do we think that they would paw at the pool, but we are concerned with them accidentally ripping the exposed sides.

Any thoughts, or ideas? Are there rigid sides that we can purchase?

I could put up a fence around the pool, but we probably would break the pool down over the winter and would rather not have the fenced-in area.

TIA

I have Italian greyhounds, and when I got my first Intex pool years ago, they were a lot younger, with needle claws! One of mine jumped up on the side of the pool because I was in it, and put a tiny pinprick hole in the side. Very easily patched. After that we made sure they weren’t outside when we were in the pool, so they wouldn’t be tempted. They never paid any attention to the pool when no one was in it.

it’s really hard to say if blunt nails on a much larger and stronger dog would cause damage. If they don’t have to be outside when pool is in use, they won’t be tempted to join in the fun!

Reactions: Newdude
I've got 3 dogs and I've had my pool for 3 years. We haven't had any problems. It does help to supervise them the first day or so. We let them sniff it a bit and after that I would clap my hands once and say AWAY kind of hard then I would quickly redirect them in play somewhere else. They couldn't care less about the pool now.

Perhaps the metal frame style would serve you better than the blow up ring style pool in your situation. They are much more sturdy overall as well. When the top ring deflates on those inflatables a collapse occurs. I wouldn’t be worried about the liner itself but the ring is definitely thinner. I had a short metal frame one & it even had a skimmer. It was nice for a couple years until my kids got taller & we got a 48”. I put that reed fencing around it to hide the blue sides which also helped protect it from damage from the weed eater & the dog.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.