Should I switch to a Variable Speed Pump?

A lot of discussion regarding minimizing the pump run time by setting the SWCG at 100% which of course is a good objective. Many also like to have longer run times for debris removal. I prefer to have my pump run from before my wife would head down there until 8pm or so. We like to see a clean water surface as much as possible. I live in a pretty clean environment but the minute after turn off the pump, the water begins to get speckled with bugs, pollen, etc. Mind you, our dogs are hairy and shed so on dog swim days, the longer run times work well for hair removal as well.

After speaking with my Pool Builder, he is willing to sell me the Super Pump VS 700 which is the variable speed version of my current pump for $1000. I can get a rebate of $350 from PSEG which would bring the cost down to $650.

Even if I were to run the VS pump at 1500 RPM (125 watts) for 24 hours, it would only cost me about $17/month ($100/season). I would be saving almost $440 for the season. At these rates I could recoup the cost in only 2 seasons.

I would like to just ask you all if the Super Pump VS 700 is a good pump?

Even if I were to run the VS pump at 1500 RPM (125 watts) for 24 hours, it would only cost me about $17/month ($100/season). I would be saving almost $440 for the season. At these rates I could recoup the cost in only 2 seasons.
How many months per year is your pool open? Also, you are comparing to your current single speed run time which is way more than you really need.

I would like to just ask you all if the Super Pump VS 700 is a good pump?
I think you would be better off with an Intelliflo. The OmniLogic with the newest software upgrade will interface with the Intelliflo but not the Superflo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.