Should I smell my heater?

Are you downwind? It is normal to smell some gas. If your heater is having trouble igniting the gas it might be running the cycle 3 times and hence there is more gas released in that process. If you stand next to the heater while it tries to fire does it start on the first attempt? My gas heater recently lost the igniter and tried to start every 30 seconds for 3 attempts. You could definitely smell gas all around the heater.

A very slight smell of gas when the heater first fires is normal but it should go away very quickly like in a second or two. You should not smell the gas when the heater is running but you will notice an exhaust odor if you are down wind of the exhaust.

When I had my stenner pump timer installed, the electrician said he smelled some gas as he was working in the immediate area for a few hours.. Turns out the Raypak heater that was recently installed had a small leak in the thin line feeding the pilot assembly (threaded at an angle). Once this was corrected the gas smell want away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.