Fayetteville, Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello all, this is our first pool and I'm just taking over management of it after two years of questionable efforts by local pool companies. Many thanks to my brother for turning me onto TFP. So the question is should I SLAM?

1.) I did an overnight FC loss test and lost 1.0 FC. (it wasn't perfectly after dark and before light though. is it any light or just direct sunlight that matters? 5.2 at 6:30 PM (right after pump and therefore SWG when off for the night. Pool was in full shade) and 4.2 at 8:45am (before the pump/SWG comes on and before pool in direct sunlight, sky also cloudy this morning)

2.) Pool looks pretty good and clear but not Bombay Sapphire Gin clarity

3.) Two of three kids has some skin irritation after yesterday's afternoon swim

4.) Water was cloudy last week after we got back from vacation. Did a half-hearted SLAM (4 gallons of bleach 6%) It wasn't full SLAM as I was misreading my FC. was counting 1.0 per drop instead of .2. head on straight now. This was before installation of replacement salt cell five days ago. I was managing FC with bleach while waiting on replacement cell. Though not very well.

5.) Also have been using VERY old Hayward NG heater to warm pool. (Copper?)

Testing:
yesterday 6:30 PM:
FC - 5.2
PH - 7.4
TA - 80
SALT - 3400 (going to bring to 3700 today, Pentair IC40)
Temp - 82
CYA - 70
CH - 110

this morning 8:45 AM:
FC - 4.2
PH - 7.4

So should I SLAM?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
First - use a 10ml water sample for FC testing. One scoop of powder and each drop to clear is 0.5ppm FC.
The picture shows a cloudy pool and that is typical of algae. I would go ahead with a SLAM.

Your pH is good were it is. Use SLAM FC (28 ppm based on 70 CYA). Add the liquid chlorine and test every couple hours. During the SLAM, you can use a 5 ml water sample for FC testing. Each drop of reagent to clear will be 1 ppm FC.

Did you test CC? If there was irritation from being in the water, it probably is CC. Or because the water was too cold!! Brrr!

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thanks Mknauss! I know you respond to a million posts (thank you!) so I just wanted to make sure your comments were specific to me as......you mentioned a pic but I didn't provide one? You mentioned the temp being cold but mine was 82F?

will do on the SLAM.

So no concern for new salt cell (IC40) during SLAM?
No copper concerns with using old Hayward NG heater on its last leg?

I will do CC test (forgot) but we weren't getting that public pool smell so figured we were ok.

OK Definitely going to SLAM today. As I was typing this my wife walked in and said "what's the deal with your pool, it's all cloudy?" :)

Off to HD for liquid chlorine.

Reactions: splashpad
Sorry on the picture - must have thought of another thread.
82 is cold! At least to me ----------------

No issues with the SWCG. We typically say turn it off during a SLAM. It is not designed to add the amount of FC to the pool you will need.

Copper is a tough one. Might be there but you have not mentioned any staining. Or blonde hair turning green. The only way the heater would add copper is if the pH was below 7 for quite some time.

Thanks all! Only reason I was adding salt was that the Pentair IC40 says the idea level is 3600 and I seem to remember TFP articles suggesting to go above recommend level for specific SWG. Thoughts?

Yes 82 is a bit cold. on the way to 86-88 today. My five year old stops complaining around 87. :)

Thanks again! Thoughts on ideal TFP Salt Level for Pentair IC40? (3600 is printed as ideal level on top of unit)

My IC40 operates at 3000 ppm no issue. But, I do not get rain. In your case, you have to account that occasionally you will get rain that may overflow your pool and reduce your salinity. So going to 3200-3400 ppm is good.

I use Diamond Crystal water softener salt, blue bag, from Home Depot. No additives.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.
Thx again! Will do. Pool is not that bad. Pretty Clear really but just not as clear as I've seen it. (and clearly not up to my wife's preference. we like that Bombay Sapphire Gin clarity) That combined with the 1.0 FC loss overnight and previous poor management I think I'm going to SLAM to make double sure nothing's lurking.

On a side note just got back from HD and the only MA they had did not have the concentration anywhere on the bottle. Klean Srip or some such. I didn't buy it and instead stopped by hardware store for properly labeled 31.45%/20.

Last edited:
Kleen strip is typically 14.5%.

Seems like HD is starting to not carry the full strength MA in many areas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.