Should I SLAM- here are my numbers

Swimming401

May 17, 2020
Rhode Island
background: our pool turned cloudy and i realized i hadn't changed or cleaned the filter (bad move, i know). i replaced the filter but it's still cloudy.

i used the tf-100 test kit and here are my numbers:
FC=3ppm
CC=0
so TC= 3ppm
TA=120
CYA=80

also when i did the daily ph test it looks low, below the 6.8 but i'm not sure how that factors into the above numbers.

i did try pool math and i'm utterly confused as to what i need to add and how much. HELP PLEASE!!!

so many thank you's,
cloudy in RI :(

Probably. For a CYA of 80, your minimum FC is 6 and you are at 3. SLAM is going to be 31 at that CYA.

I see that you have the TF-100 on order. If you dont want to immediately SLAM, get your FC up to your target range (10-12) and run the pump a bunch since you just cleaned the filter. Maybe that will do the trick, maybe not. Good luck and keep testing and posting your numbers.

sorry i should change that. i do have a tf-100 now and that's where i got all of these numbers.

i should preface this with, how do i even SLAM, what do i add and how much? gah! sorry, so confused.

unfortunately, i replaced the filter a few days ago and have been running the pump non stop and still cloudy.

Below are the instructions. Basically:
1. Get your pH to 7.2
2. Add chlorine to get your pool to a FC of 31 (use pool math for quantities)
3. Brush daily and remove leaves, debris, etc as the chlorine will try to oxidize those too
4. Test your FC multiple times a day, add chlorine and repeat steps 2-4 until your pool is clear (it will take several days)
5. Make sure you pass the OCLT and CC tests to end the SLAM, and end the SLAM

Any my coffee is still kicking in. I see you have an above ground with 3800 gallons. Since you have high CYA, I would strongly consider draining a large portion to get your CYA down to manageable levels before you SLAM.

Then when you are done with the SLAM and have crystal clear water, make sure you have a solid plan for chlorinating your water that doesnt involve tablets or anything that adds CYA.

Oof ok, thank you x million.
1) when can we safely swim again? Not at all during this slam process, I assume?
2) in pool math am I putting the current level number in first column then the target number goes next? So my FC I should put 31 in the target section but all the other target numbers auto populate and I shouldn’t have to touch?
3) for draining purposes, let’s say I drain half the pool. Do I then refill with water before I start slam or leave it half empty during the slam?

1) You can safely swim as long as FC is above minimum and at or below SLAM level FC based on your CYA
2) I assume this is the web based Poolmath. Put current test results in column NOW and goal values in column TARGET. For FC no other values need to be monitored.
3) You would drain, refill, circulate, retest CYA, then follow the SLAM Process for that CYA.

1) You can safely swim as long as FC is above minimum and at or below SLAM level FC based on your CYA
2) I assume this is the web based Poolmath. Put current test results in column NOW and goal values in column TARGET. For FC no other values need to be monitored.
3) You would drain, refill, circulate, retest CYA, then follow the SLAM Process for that CYA.
got it. ok thank you so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.