Should I shock since I won't have my SWG going for another few days?

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
The PB did their first water sample a couple weeks ago and starting adding some Alkalinity increaser, calcium, etc. to start getting things leveled out based on the initial results. I took a sample down to the PB's lab this morning and got the following numbers:

Chlorine - 0
PH - 7.9
Calcium - 149
Alkalinity - 181
Stabilizer - 27
Copper - 0
Iron - 0
Phosphates - 0

It seems the Alkalinity is way high compared to what is recommended for a SWG pool. I'm assuming I should get that down before I start running the SWG? There is, or course, no chlorine present because I haven't started adding salt for the SWG yet. I am going to start adding salt tonight and hopefully start generating chlorine with the SWG in the new few days. The PH is a little high because they overshot the Alkalinity but will be putting some PH decreaser in tonight.

I wanted to get some thoughts on the numbers and also ask whether you guys think I should throw either some shock or bleach in there tonight just to at least have some chlorine in there before the SWG gets up and running.

Thanks!

Sorry...it's a new pool just going through the initial balance with the PB. I would think my first order of business would be to lower the PH and Alkalinity and getting some chlorine in it...maybe some shock now until SWG gets going?

We do not recommend the use of powder shock. All you need is bleach and CYA, and perhaps muriatic acid at this point.

You also need to use and trust your own tests as those test numbers above are really suspect.

To clarify- this is a vinyl pool, right?

Maddie :flower:

We do not recommend the use of powder shock. All you need is bleach and CYA, and perhaps muriatic acid at this point.

You also need to use and trust your own tests as those test numbers above are really suspect.

To clarify- this is a vinyl pool, right?

Maddie :flower:

Yippee,

Yep..it's a vinyl pool. I trust the advice of TFP over my PB any day. I asked him about bleach vs. powder shock yesterday and he said bleach can be hard on the liner. Does that theory hold any weight? I used some powder shock last night just to clear it up, but will use bleach from now on if that's preferable.

After a heavy rain yesterday and some PH minus, my PH is about 7.2 but TA is still 140. I think I still want to be quite a bit lower on TA since I have a SWG but don't want to drive my PH any lower. Actually need it to rise a bit. Any advice on best strategy there?

Thanks!

Maybe if you poured bleach on your liner above the water every day....

pH minus is hard on equipment especially your swg, if you have used a lot of it discontinue use right away, just a little, finish off the bottle, or sell on Craigslist. Use muratic acid, has no side effects just have to handle correctly (easy).

Just keep mantaining your pH, keep it in the 7s, your ta will find it's point. Only drop the ta on purpose if you keep hitting 8 with pH.

Maybe if you poured bleach on your liner above the water every day....

pH minus is hard on equipment especially your swg, if you have used a lot of it discontinue use right away, just a little, finish off the bottle, or sell on Craigslist. Use muratic acid, has no side effects just have to handle correctly (easy).

Just keep mantaining your pH, keep it in the 7s, your ta will find it's point. Only drop the ta on purpose if you keep hitting 8 with pH.

Thanks for the good advice! So I shouldn't worry about starting up my SWG with my TA that high? I was only concerned about it because I think I saw where TFP recommended TA levels 60-80 for SWG pools and knew mine was double that. I knew that ideally you want to get everything balanced out before you start the SWG was wasn't sure if the TA level was a concern or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jodie...thanks for the reminder. Yes, I was aware of that about the water temps. I have a Pentair IntelliChlor and my water temp was 57 this morning so it maybe be a bit before I start being able to depend on it for my chlorine :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.