Should I replace my liner

Awesome. Focus on the crud as you get lower and can see it better. With my own SLAM it was sloooooowly improving and once I could see the last bit of crud (and subsequently got it out), Almost instantly *POOF*, blue again. The higher FC no longer attacked the crud and spent all its effort on the water.

It will be the proverbial ‘turning the corner’. You’ll still have to filter out whatever is killed, but the leap forward in progress is night and day. Then it simply becomes a matter of waiting while the filter does it’s thing, and keeping the filter clean so it can keep doing it’s thing. It’s much easier to swallow when you see the finish line in the distance.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
I just talked with a water hauler and he said I should get 30 gallons of bleach from the dollar store and some algaecide and he will help get me started on the cleaning tomorrow. Is there a risk of adding too much FC without knowing my CYA levels? My test kit wont get here for a few more days.

Skip the algaecide. Algaecides do nothing once you have algae. And some algaecides contain unwanted chemicals.

Chlorine is the magic potion that clears algae. You need to follow our SLAM Process

Adding too much chlorine for your CYA level will bleach your liner. So follow the FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Mdragger88
For a pool your size I would suggest adding two gallons of liquid chlorine per day and brushing it while you wait for your test kit to arrive. Two gallons is not too much, yet can give you a start in the task at hand. It won't bleach your liner either.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You don't want to backwash into the pool. That just dumps the dead algae you filtered out back into the pool.

Chlorine is the active ingredient that kills the algae. Depending on how bad your algae bloom is you can go through many gallons of chlorine.

We have seen SLAMs that have went on for a few weeks. Be patient.

After brushing, I'm typically seeing lots of brown clouds in the water, I (assume) hope this is dead algae. I've resorted to pushing everything down to the hopper in hopes that I can clear up the water near the surface gain some visibility and do more targeted scooping. does this sound like a good plan?

I've resorted to pushing everything down to the hopper in hopes that I can clear up the water near the surface gain some visibility and do more targeted scooping. does this sound like a good plan?
Yup. It’s basically like sweeping up the garage. Get it to one general spot and dust pan/ scoop it outta there. Either way it still has to go.

The brushing will perform double duty to scrub the walls/floor as well.

I've drained mine, second season I didn't use any cover and it was slimy, leaves, etc - in hindsight I could of probably shocked and cleaned. but I drained it, got down in and it and pulled all the crud up using 5 gal pails. Super slipper and I fell more than once, straight back. That reason alone I won't drain it ever again. The liner did bunch up in a few places, but after I filled it, within a few days it filled out and no wrinkles. I do have one floor wrinkle and that might of been part of the draining, but if I remember right that happened prior to the spring I drained it.

Yesterday when I woke up I noticed that the water level had dropped after running the pump on recirculate all night, so cut the pump off and I devoted a good amount of time adding water all day. This morning I woke (pump still off) up and it had lost about an inch overnight. It's been colder and raining here the past few days so I cant spot any signs of a leak anywhere. For my size pool that's about 400 gals, so I'm losing at a rate of about 40 gals/hr. The water level is currently sitting right in the middle of the lower intake hole. I've been using that port to run water through the system because I got too low to use the skimmer intakes.

I really don't think I cut the liner netting out debris, so I'm worried I could have damaged the plumbing running on the lower intake port. Have any of you all ever experienced anything like this? Thanks you for your advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.