Should I reorder a whole new test kit?

jersey

May 25, 2017
Freehold, NJ
Hello! I used a K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit for the first time last year. I got the kit out again to use it this year and noticed that although I have plenty of solutions/reagents left, the expiration dates on all the bottles seem to be 3/18 or 4/18 (1 or 2 months ago).

Should I: (A) Just keep using the expired bottles, it's fine; (B) Buy a whole new test kit; (C) Buy all new individual reagents; or (D) something else?

Looking to find out what most people do each year and how much success you've had with it. Thanks! :)

Jersey:

Even though the reagents expired, you should still be ok with the kit from last year. I would say no longer than 2 seasons, then order refills, and no need to order another kit. TFTestkits.net has refills for your K-2006 kit. If you ordered your kit in the beginning of the pool season, by the time the season ends, you will be at the 18th month mark, although after this, all reagents should be discarded.

If you go to Taylor - The Most Trusted Name in Water Testing there is a section on recognizing a compromised agent. My sheet is in PDF, but may be outdated.

How/where was the test kit stored? High or low temperatures can affect reagent reliability.

The CYA reagent is very stable and will last multiple seasons. The others can be suspect. If your testing does not seem to make sense, get fresh reagents.

Take care.

How/where was the test kit stored? High or low temperatures can affect reagent reliability.

The CYA reagent is very stable and will last multiple seasons. The others can be suspect. If your testing does not seem to make sense, get fresh reagents.

Take care.

Thanks mknauss! I stored the test kit in my basement, which is heated. I don't think the temperature ever dropped below 60 degrees in the area where it was stored during the winter. I used the test kit today and the results seemed to be accurate. I'll follow your advice and keep an eye on it to see if the test results continue to make sense after I add bleach, etc. and follow the PoolMath calculations.

I was just about to ask the same thing. We had to take down our old intex at the end of the season last year, thinking we we're going to move. Less than a year later, that idea is a big nope, and now we're signed and waiting on the PB to start a brand spanking new IGP. I bought my refill kit during the spring deal last year, so I was hoping it was still good enough to get me through the short season we'll have here. Good to know!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.