Should I redo this plumbing?

May 1, 2013
I have intakes to my pump from a main drain and 2 skimmers. When I replaced the pump I just made adjustments to the existing plumbing to get it lined up with the new pump inlet. When needed, I struggle being able to run the pump on the main drain only and am wondering if it would be worthwhile to redo my configuration to eliminate the the two joints circled in the image attached. Is it possible that these two additional restrictions would be having an impact on the water being made available to the pump? Thank you.

Attachments

• pool plumbing.jpg
    pool plumbing.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 17
Jonny,

I agree with PoolStored...

That off-set you have in the pump plumbing will have no effect on what the pump can do.

The real question is why would you want to run on just the main drain? In most situations, we recommend having the skimmers wide open and the main drain only open about 5%.

What is it you are trying to accomplish???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: PoolStored
Jonny,

I agree with PoolStored...

That off-set you have in the pump plumbing will have no effect on what the pump can do.

The real question is why would you want to run on just the main drain? In most situations, we recommend having the skimmers wide open and the main drain only open about 5%.

What is it you are trying to accomplish???

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim. My water is pretty darn dirty at the start of each season because my cover is not solid. It just feels like I would benefit from pulling that water from the bottom and dumping it on top to help speed up the clearing process. In addition, when I am draining the pool for the winter, I get below the skimmers so need to operate on the main drain. Or when I am opening for the season, it is helpful to run off the main drain while I am filling up to the skimmer level. Thank you.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.