Gold Supporter
Mar 28, 2019
Lebanon, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'll soon be opening a therapy pool for dogs and the hvac engineer just recommended I add a SWG in order to decrease the number of air exchanges required by the county building department (basically, get rid of the chlorine jugs). I've been furiously reading forum posts to determine if this would be a good decision. What I've gathered from reading is that everyone who has one loves it, but I want to make sure it's right for my application and that I completely understand SWG.

Here's what I think I would need to do. Please correct me where I'm wrong.
Keep my CYA at 30 (not the recommended 70-80), I think the lower CYA would bring my FC down to 2-4ppm (or do I want this to be 3-5ppm?), salt levels should be 200-400ppm higher than manufacturer's recommendation, CH is 350 so I need to keep CSI in range (0 to -.3)

I don't understand what the PoolMath app wants input for 24hr SWG Chlorine Output. I'm also confused on when I need to run the pump. During the day while a dog is in the pool to keep the FC levels in range? I will keep a gallon of bleach onsite in case FC needs a boost. Pool will be drained and re-filled semi-annually.

Thanks in advance!

(Just want to add the knowledge on this site has saved me so much time, energy and money in maintaining our personal swimspa.(y)(y))

The app needs to know what SWCG you have and how long you are running the pump to determine the FC added to the pool.

I suspect your FC demand each day will be quite high with dogs in water. But frequent testing should bear that out.

Reactions: manjones
My first gut reaction would be to stick with liquid. SWCG's are great at maintaining a level of chlorine, but are not good for varying needs that may change regularly.

Are you saying that they are going to require more air turnover inside the building if using liquid over salt generated chlorine? No matter the source, the chlorine in the water will be the exact same chemical. I'm confused over this.

I can see the lower CYA indoors, but I'm thinking you will need to keep your FC much higher, possibly about 50% of SLAM value. All of our recomendations are based on residential pools that do not have the load that yours will. Dogs don't understand the need to exit the water to relieve themselves, so you will want to stay on top of this issue.

If you built a contained "chlorine room" you could ventilate this room as much as they wanted and then add chlorine continuously via a Stenner pump.

Our lab swims everyday. I have CYA at 70 and my target for chlorine is 7 instead of 5. I keep it a tad higher because she goes with us everywhere (work, walks etc) and who knows what her paws are stepping in. :rolleyes:
With the Vegas heat and pool in full sun all day, I prefer to err on the side of caution.
I thought the constant swimming might affect her coat/skin natural oil balance but it’s silky soft and no scratching. PH is between 7.6 & 7.8.

We’ve had our SWG for over a year and like other members I’d never have another pool without one. Doing the chlorine jugs was no biggie but a SWG is sooo much easier!

Good luck!

My first gut reaction would be to stick with liquid. SWCG's are great at maintaining a level of chlorine, but are not good for varying needs that may change regularly.

Are you saying that they are going to require more air turnover inside the building if using liquid over salt generated chlorine? No matter the source, the chlorine in the water will be the exact same chemical. I'm confused over this.

I can see the lower CYA indoors, but I'm thinking you will need to keep your FC much higher, possibly about 50% of SLAM value. All of our recomendations are based on residential pools that do not have the load that yours will. Dogs don't understand the need to exit the water to relieve themselves, so you will want to stay on top of this issue.

If you built a contained "chlorine room" you could ventilate this room as much as they wanted and then add chlorine continuously via a Stenner pump.
Yes, they are extremely concerned with having chlorine gallons onsite. Although they don't seem concerned with the muriatic acid, which I've read is more corrosive. ?‍♀️They are requiring I build walls around the pool equipment and store the chemicals in there ("a contained chlorine room" as you said). That room will be vented to the pool room and they require 4 air exchanges per hour.

Yes, they are extremely concerned with having chlorine gallons onsite. Although they don't seem concerned with the muriatic acid, which I've read is more corrosive. ?‍♀️They are requiring I build walls around the pool equipment and store the chemicals in there ("a contained chlorine room" as you said). That room will be vented to the pool room and they require 4 air exchanges per hour.
Any way to vent that room to the outside and just have the 4 turnovers of that room?

I would be more concerned with the storage of both chlorine and acid in the same room with any posibility of comingling.

Any way to vent that room to the outside and just have the 4 turnovers of that room?

I would be more concerned with the storage of both chlorine and acid in the same room with any posibility of comingling.
maybe, I meet with the engineer later this afternoon. I have the same concern as you regarding the MA. I was thinking of buying an outdoor storage box and storing the MA in the back of my unit.

In my experience, i have not seen one issue in chemical balance based on pool usage. We have 2 giant bloodhounds and have had many parties. The 24/7 swg running off the VS pump in the low 1000s of rpms has done perfect for 7 years. However, my dogs shed twice a year and each occurrence lasts 4 months. Whenever the dogs swim i have to substantially raise the rpms to force the hair into the skimmers. It usually takes an hour or two and i collect enough to make a sweater once its finished.

I cannot knit worth a darn so I don’t end up with an actual sweater. But I do get a softball sized glob of fur from each skimmer every time. Sometimes they swim more than once a day. I guess it would depend on the dogs as well. Smaller or short hair dogs would probably shed much less. If you were working with Labs/Sheppard’s or anything else with a double coat, it’s gonna be a mess.

As as far as the SWG goes, my experience is nothing short of spectacular. I respect those that prefer the old school chlorine ways and have even more respect for those that can manage it all by themselves. But mine manages itself. I have to set an alarm to remember to check the pool once a week because it’s truely an afterthought.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.