Should I have a psi reading while in recirc?

dmitchsmith

May 25, 2020
Central North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Fairly new to being a pool owner. All the equipment was from the previous owner. I’m just familiarizing myself with all the equipment.

i got a new pressure gauge because the old one didn’t work. The gauge is mounted on the filter and the MPV is to the right. While in filter mode I get a reading of ~12-13 psi. Switched it to recirc mode today for the first time just to see if it worked and was just playing around with the set up. Got a psi reading of ~10. And I expected it to be 0 since the gauge is on the filter. Is that normal?

FE40439D-0F02-4611-8D56-2FEF536F601B.jpeg

for reference this is my set up. I’ve seen some with the MPV mounted on top of the filter. That’s not the case with this set up. So I’m confused how the gauge is picking up a reading on recirc mode if the water isn’t being directed to the filter (where the gauge is located).

Last edited:
Mitch,

Before I read your whole post, I had drafted up a response that said something like ... "Of course, not.. Recirculate by-passes the filter.." Then I read the rest of your post.

Let's see if we can get @JamesW or @jimmythegreek to chime in..

It sure does not sound right to me.. :scratch:

Just a thought... Did you put the system in recirculate with the pump on??? If so, maybe the pressure you see is "trapped" in the filter by the MVP???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mitch,

Before I read your whole post, I had drafted up a response that said something like ... "Of course, not.. Recirculate by-passes the filter.." Then I read the rest of your post.

Let's see if we can get @JamesW or @jimmythegreek to chime in..

It sure does not sound right to me.. :scratch:

Just a thought... Did you put the system in recirculate with the pump on??? If so, maybe the pressure you see is "trapped" in the filter by the MVP???

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the reply. I turned the pump off, then switched to recirc. Then turned the pump back on. I did wonder if somehow there’s some amount of water trapped/remaining in the filter that registers a reading. But I’m a novice at this and learning as I go (with a lot of help from this site so far) so I’m not always sure what “normal” is in these situations.
It would make sense that the pressure would be 0 if there’s no water flowing through the sand filter. So to clarify, that gauge is telling me the pressure within the filter? And if I’m in recirc mode there should be no pressure within the filter, right?
The gauge is new and seems to read accurately in other modes (it goes to 0 when turned off, it goes to 0 when in waste mode, etc).

It shouldn't get pressure, but it usually will due to leakage from the multiport.

While in recirculate, open the air relief valve and see if water continuously comes out.
Just tried that and yes water does continuously come out. Which would be a sign that the multiport has a leak somewhere, allowing water back into the filter...right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.