Should i go crazy about every level perfect ?

darrenwinter

May 15, 2023
miller place ny
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
20 x50 vinyl inground . pentair IC60 ( set at 20% running 24 hours a day at very low pump rate )
New to the site . Should i worry about every little number or be happy with what i have ? Just switched over to SWG this spring and followed your guidelines to get get where i am today .

FC 5.0
PH 7.6
TA 80
CH 270
CYA 60
SALT 3200
BOR 50

Thanks for the great site that takes the mystery out of pool care

Should i worry about every little number or be happy with what i have ?

Welcome to TFP!

Some numbers are more important than others. Most have a wide range of acceptable values. The PoolMath app can tell you which numbers are good and which might need some adjustment.

Your numbers all seem to me to be in the acceptable range, although your FC concentration is at the low end of acceptable. With CYA at 60, FC levels between 5 and 24 ppm are safe to swim in, but flirting with values near the low end of that range unnecessarily risks algae growth.

If I had your numbers, I would immediately raise the FC level -- either with liquid chlorine or by increasing the SWCG operating percentage -- and start aiming for an FC target closer to 8 or 9. That will significantly lower the risk of algae growth with no negative consequences.

I'd bump up the CYA to 70, get the FC up to 10 with liquid chlorine via poolmath and then test your water daily around the same time to establish the typical FC burn off by adjusting the % to maintain the 10ppm FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.