Should I focus on TA or PH first?

Sep 29, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Reformed puck user here...We saw the light last year and ditched the pucks when our CYA hit 100 and we couldn't control the algae at the end of the season. After slamming at crazy high levels, we got rid of it right before we closed the pool. We had a rainy winter and did a partial refill and now CYA is at 40. Thank you all so much for your input last year!

Here's where we stand now:

CYA 40
FC 6.5
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 70
Water is clear

I'm assuming that both PH and TA are borderline low. Should I just keep an eye on them or bring one (or both) up a bit. If so, which one should I focus on?

Thanks so much!

Nope, that's perfect. Don't need to adjust either :swim: Over time you will want to watch your pH closer. If it starts to rise to 8+ knock it back down with acid.

They are both about perfect, leave them both alone.

The pool "industry" says TA should be up around 100, but we find a lower number makes the pH a lot more stable. Mine - very happy at TA = 50.

7.2 is fine for pH, it will generally rise on it's own.

Don't try to chase "perfect" numbers, as long as everything is in range you are good.

Overall those are very good numbers. I'm not worried about the TA at all. The pH is on the low end of the scale, but not dangerously low, and I expect it will rise over time anyways. So I would just keep an eye on things for the moment and enjoy that clear water. :swim:

Kim,

Are you complaining or just bragging?? Most people would love those numbers... :p

I would do nothing... I suspect the pH will come up on its own and you should ignore low TA unless it goes below 50...

Anytime pH is in the "7's" you are good...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Woohoo! Y'all made my day! Consider me a successful student then. Seriously. Last year was our first year and the water was such a mess by the end of the season. We did what the pool store told us and it kept getting worse. Then I found TFP and I saw the light!

And it's good to get this perspective on the ranges. It will let me chill out about trying to get to the "perfect" number.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.