Should I DIY my repairs?

jc1of2

Dec 8, 2019
dallas
I'm in Texas and much like most people here I am waiting until July/August to have my pool repaired. I'm doing ok right now with a pond pump circulating the water in my in-ground 30k gallon pool. It's enough to keep the chlorine circulating and the algae to a minimum. So here is my issue. There are two points of damage in the plumbing. The first is in the heater. Both Headers are cracked and leaking. The second is the valve right above my Ozone venturi is cracked. Instead of waiting until August what if I just plumbed the water going to the heater straight into the line where the heater water exits? Using just pvc and a couple of elbows. I also decided I don't need to wait to repair the Ozone plumbing either since the Ozone has never worked since we moved in 3 years ago. I read it doesn't do much anyway. What if I cut the whole thing out and just replaced it with straight pvc pipe and a tee? I have some experience plumbing reef tanks so I think I can do it. What do you all think? If this works I can get my pool back to working order right away and just wait until later in the year to fix the heater.
filter line.jpgozone line.jpg

I would do it in a heartbeat.. once the heater can be repaired just plumb it back in :)

The sun has WAY more UV than that thing ever did...

I agree. No need for the ozone, and bypassing the heater would be good. While you could just cut & PVC a solid solid loop, you would need to cut it out later and re-plumb back to the heater. But you cut and then installed a diverter valve, you could plumb a true "bypass" before the heater to divert water at anytime in the future which would be nice for future maintenance. Just a thought. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I'm with Pat. Make a bypass and get swimming! Cutting and glueing PVC is not hard. When you measure include the 1-2" space inside the fittings for the two pipes to join. Measure how deep it is to the inside lip on each fitting and include it in the pipe length so you don't cut the lengths too short. Also I would replace that kinked flex pvc coming from your booster pump.

all it would take would be a 3 way valve just before the heater and a check valve on the exit of the heater and 1 T just past the check valve :)

Thank you for all your input. I was able to successfully bypass the heater and remove the ozone parts. The pool filter is now running. When it was under pressure the hose on the chlorine tab feeder broke. I never used it but I have to replace it since it's leaking. Parts are on the way. Now I just have to wait for the booster pump impeller to come back in stock. I'm debating just going with a robot cleaner.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.