Should I cover pump motor to extend life?

Saturn94

Bronze Supporter
Mar 11, 2015
SE Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
The equipment pad is on the north side of the house where it doesn’t get much direct sun. Would building some kind of cover over the pump motor to keep rain off help extend it’s life? Or are pump motors designed to be sufficiently protected from the elements as to not be a concern?

If covering it would help, any suggestions how to build something? I’ve seen covers you can buy, but they look like they would cause the motor to run hotter (not good!). As a matter of fact, I’ve read some reviews indicating pumps overheating with these covers.

For reference, as is without a cover, I’m getting 9-10 years before having to replace the motor.

Attachments

• IMG_1093.jpeg
    IMG_1093.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1092.jpeg
    IMG_1092.jpeg
    646.1 KB · Views: 36
I think a cover will retain moisture and promote more corrosion.

Pumps are made to be outside in the elements.

Reactions: Saturn94
I think a cover will retain moisture and promote more corrosion.

Pumps are made to be outside in the elements.

Thanks. 😀

Just to be clear, when I say “cover”, I talking about putting a “roof” above it so it doesn’t get rained on. It would not be enclosed.

I wouldn't mess with a cover in your case.

Just be sure not to store corrosive chemicals near the pump, and change the shaft seal quickly if it starts dripping.

9-10 years is a fairly typical lifespan for a single-speed motor.

I appreciate all the feedback.

It’s sounding like the consensus is building some kind of cover wouldn’t offer any benefit.

The place where I bought a new motor suggested disconnecting the motor and storing it inside during the winter when the pool is closed. Is there any benefit to be had doing this?

The place where I bought a new motor suggested disconnecting the motor and storing it inside during the winter when the pool is closed. Is there any benefit to be had doing this?

I am sure that place likes making money on the service calls to remove the motor and reinstall it.

If you can DIY and fix any leaks or problems removing it causes then give it a try. It is a PITA with little benefit.

I am sure that place likes making money on the service calls to remove the motor and reinstall it.

If you can DIY and fix any leaks or problems removing it causes then give it a try. It is a PITA with little benefit.

Thanks. 👍

Lol, no service call for them since I would do it myself. 😉

You bring up a good point about potential leaks; I was wondering if uninstalling/installing every season would increase the likelihood of leaks (makes sense that it would). And yes, it is a PITA!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.