Should I correct my phosphates

bent1993

May 24, 2024
texas
Hello TFP,

New salt water pool owner here. I went to Leslie’s and got my water tested which matched up to my home testing strips. since then per their recommendation I’ve added 80lbs salt, gallon CYA, 15lbs hardener, 2lbs of fresh n brite shock and have cleaned the filter that was filthy.

The follow up chemistries attached are from Thursday. Leslie’s is really wanting me to use a phosphate reducer because it’s 1200. I’ve read mixed things on here about correcting phosphates. I don’t believe there is any algae in the pool (picture attached) and there hasn’t been since I moved in. The pool is under a ton of trees and I skooped out about 30lbs of leaves when I closed on the house. I’m worried about making the pool unclear and creating a further loop of more chemicals. I’m in Texas and don’t want an algae bloom but I also don’t wanna “fix it if it ain’t broke.” What would you do?

Attachments

• IMG_5054.png
    IMG_5054.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    705.3 KB · Views: 5
Hey Bent and Welcome !
I also don’t wanna “fix it if it ain’t broke.”
I agree. Focus on what's broke.

You need reliable data or none of the rest of it can be trusted.

Test Kits Compared (<----- click)

I broke down the differences here

Last edited:
Welcome, bent1933! The absolute first thing you should do is STOP going to the pool $tore! The second thing you MUST do is purchase a good quality test kit (TFP only recommends either a Taylor K2006 or the TFP-100.) and learn how to use it correctly. While waiting for your test kit to arrive, read the articles in Pool School to understand your pool's chemistry requirements.

It may appear initially overwhelming but, I assure you, that you can easily learn how to properly care for your pool and enjoy a crystal clear, sanitary pool for less $$. The folks on this forum all started where you are today and we want to help you "get it right".

Last edited: