Should I convert to Mineral Pool system

lonniebrunet

Jun 3, 2020
Mississauga
Hi, not sure if this is the right place. I was thinking of switching to salt, but told not to by pool shop owner. He suggested ClearBlue Mineral system. Wouldn't mind some thoughts, as the internet is riddled with so much info that its hard to get a good opinion. Pool ionizer system reduces maintenance and chemicals - ClearBlue Ionizer Inc.

I've owned this house for 6 years and inherited a pool. Been loving owing a pool, but for years my wife always talks about her skin being so dry, itchy and also her eyes stinging. I've been very good at keeping the water balanced and the chlorine balanced especially. At time it can run slightly high and slight low, but all in all pretty balanced - any everything else too.

Recently when replacing my pool pump that died, the pool store owner here in Toronto recommended going Mineral, using a system called ClearBlue. We were thinking of switching to salt, but he told us to stay away from it. He said in the long run Mineral system would be cheaper, not cause equipment to wear out and with less chlorine to sanitize the pool leave the pool looking great and our skin great too.

When I look online though I see all sorts of pros and cons for salt, mineral and heaps others. Wouldn't mind getting an unbiased opinion, as we have 3 young kids and my wife wants us to get something that takes care of our skin / health etc.

Cheers

Here’s some reading for you Common Swimming Pool Myths Dispelled - Trouble Free Pool
The best way to take care of your family’s health & skin is to maintain a properly balanced & sanitized pool with chlorine

Thanks for this reply. Was a good read. I realized for the first few years of having a pool, I got my water tested at the pool store every 2 weeks or so, and every time was ending up spending $50-$200 a time on chemicals. Last year and this year I have just been maintaining it myself, and I think I'm probably not doing a good job.

I have a feeling there is so good articles here, but could someone point me in the direction of any articles on how to properly maintain my pool with the right testing kits, and know how without having to spend so much on chemicals that the pool stores sell me, which I think is them taking advantage of me.

Thanks!

Also the guy wants his residual $ from all the products you’ll have to buy. Be sure you are using a good test kit Test Kits Compared & the proper recommended levels (you may find our recommendations are different than the pool store)
For best results with your pool now. A swg is my preference for chlorinating as with many here.

The tf-100 @ testkits.net is the best value although not sure if its attainable being that you are in Canada. The Taylor k-2006C would be your best bet there I think

A salt pool is a chlorine pool. But instead of Chlorox making bleach in a plant and bottling it up, you make it onsite. Same process, smaller scale.

Saltwater won't irritate your skin. Hospitals use saline solution for burn patients. This stuff is 9000 ppm salt. A pool will be about 1/3 that. Salt content somewhere between distilled water and wound care is not going to bother you. And properly balanced, the amount of active hypochlorous acid (the disinfecting part of bleach) in the pool will be lower than what is allowed in drinking water.

The pool store guy wants to sell you a mineral system because you will have to go to him to buy your chemicals. You can buy salt at the grocery store. Any other stuff you may need can be purchased in the pool aisle of the big box stores.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A salt pool is a chlorine pool. But instead of Chlorox making bleach in a plant and bottling it up, you make it onsite. Same process, smaller scale.

Saltwater won't irritate your skin. Hospitals use saline solution for burn patients. This stuff is 9000 ppm salt. A pool will be about 1/3 that. Salt content somewhere between distilled water and wound care is not going to bother you. And properly balanced, the amount of active hypochlorous acid (the disinfecting part of bleach) in the pool will be lower than what is allowed in drinking water.

The pool store guy wants to sell you a mineral system because you will have to go to him to buy your chemicals. You can buy salt at the grocery store. Any other stuff you may need can be purchased in the pool aisle of the big box stores.

The pool store guy also told me that apparently the city has by-laws that say you can't backwash salt into the sewers, which seems rediculous to me, as the city use salt during the winter for the roads. Does he have a point though that the salt will corrode my heater? I have a crappy Jandy LXi 400N.

The other thing, is the guy is selling this mineral idea to me, actually seems like a good guy. Older guy, family owned shop that I just found recently and really like. The store was totally different to other stores I have been to that, where they just milked you for your money. He wasn't pushing the mineral option, was just cautioning me against Salt, and said if I wanted to switch from chlorine, that this ClearBlue would be worth looking at. So him not pushing it on me, actually left me feeling like it might be a legit good option.

Lonnie, there are 1000 people on here that were in your same shoes. You think the pool guy is an expert because he is a pool guy. 90% of the time he is not. This site is based on science and proven results. Get a good test kit first, you have your options that have been shown to you.

Now my turn for a rant. The amount of salt in a salt pool is tiny compared to your roads, the ocean, etc. 3000ppm is same amount as your tears. It will not degrade anything faster than it already degrades. I would never own a pool without a SWG (Salt water chlorine generator).

However, this is your pool and you make the decisions. Go for whatever you think is best. I can tell you I fought with my pool for years and resisted the advice here for a long time. Once I got a test kit, life got much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
A swg is a salt water chlorine generator.
Now u know the lingo 😂
I’m not implying that your particular poolstore guy is a bad, greedy person or anything its just how he makes his living -selling chemicals. Also the majority of most pool store people’s info comes from the manufacturers of those products, systems, & chemicals. Kinda like how the drug rep says “This is the miracle pill!” & then the dr says here’s your prescription— Lol.
You just gotta take it all with a grain of salt... & be your own advocate & do your own research like u r now.
For instance.. I have a mom& pop outfit near me. They’re a great resource for liquid chlorine & a few other things. However, when someone comes in once every week or two with an old jar of pool water & asks for a miracle their only choice is to test it & give them the “prescription” based on what they have @ their disposal.
Here’s a quick video explaining our methods

Also minerals & other magic potions are mostly frowned upon simply because they are unnecessary & do not have complete sanitation abilities- thus they still require the use of chlorine but claim you can use less & keep a clear pool. That may be true for a short while but unfortunately as many people here have found out it doesn’t last & is an expensive disaster waiting to happen. Also just because a pool looks clear doesn’t mean it is sanitary. If i wanted to swim with contaminates I’d go to the lake 🤢
Minerals aren’t evil they’re just not enough & some systems add copper which will turn blonde hair green & can stain pool surfaces.
Also many people here with swg’s have heaters & don’t have issues.
I hope I’ve helped with some of your concerns. 😊

After 5 years of holding out I switched to salt. Wife had the same complaints as yours. Just to be sure I added salt and let her try it. Within minutes she told me "I never want to go back. This is great!". I won't make any recommendation to you. I'll just say something you already know: Happy Wife Happy Life.

Good luck.

Chris

Wouldn't mind getting an unbiased opinion, as we have 3 young kids and my wife wants us to get something that takes care of our skin / health etc.
I'm sorry I won't be able to give you an unbiased opinion.. we all heavily favor salt water chlorinators!😉 I'll be succinct:
It takes the sting out of the water..
It makes pool care easier
It wont corrode you equipment
It saves you time, . In the long run.
the only downside is you wont be supporting your local pool store as much anymore

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.