The Sarge

Feb 23, 2020
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Started slamming 5 days ago after the pool being inactive for 9 months due to the pump motor burning out. Anyway, my OCLT was a loss of 1 ppm and my CC is at .4 (Using K-2006C), however my pool is still a bluish green and I know the dead algae still needs to be filtered out. Should I continue slamming anyway until it's cleared, or start balancing and use DE to help filter? I still have some vacuuming to do as i can see the floor better now. The pictures are more green than it actually is. Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• 20230409_090518.jpg
    20230409_090518.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230409_090541.jpg
    20230409_090541.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 16
Nine months is a long time Sarge. You will go through a good bit of liquid chlorine ($$$) in that 26K pool, and it could take a week or more to maintain the proper FC-SLAM level. It will take a while. Your only show TX in your location, but if a partial water exchange something you might consider to help expedite the SLAM? Or are you on a well which would not make that feasible?

Reactions: The Sarge
Nine months is a long time Sarge. You will go through a good bit of liquid chlorine ($$$) in that 26K pool, and it could take a week or more to maintain the proper FC-SLAM level. It will take a while. Your only show TX in your location, but if a partial water exchange something you might consider to help expedite the SLAM? Or are you on a well which would not make that feasible?
Yeah I'm on Day 10 I live in Kingsville, TX so I have city water. It's clearing up now, strictly using liquid chlorine. My CYA is below 10 and with my frequent vacuuming and backwashing I'm hesitant to put stabilizer to get the CYA up. I have very little debri left as now I can finally see down in the bottom of the deep end of the pool.

Attachments

• 16813097968676348723913850043810.jpg
    16813097968676348723913850043810.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 11
As Marty indicated, might be worth a re-read of the SLAM Process. I printed it out and read it about 5 times! From the process:

"SLAMing an outdoor pool is most effective when CYA is around 30 to 40. Below 30 you lose too much chlorine to sunlight. As CYA goes up, SLAMing requires more and more chlorine, which starts to get impractical around 80 or 90. With CYA above 90 we recommend replacing water to get CYA down before you start the SLAM process."

It is probably taking longer because you don't have enough CYA in the pool.

Reactions: The Sarge
My CYA is below 10 and with my frequent vacuuming and backwashing I'm hesitant to put stabilizer to get the CYA up.
I wound consider adding a little stabilizer, at least for a CYA of 30. If your CYA is as low as you think, the chlorine is extremely harsh in the water. The sun is finally coming out around the San Antonio area, and if you are getting more sun, the chlorine will need that protection from the sun's UV. Progress is good. Hope the rest of your SLAM goes well.

I wound consider adding a little stabilizer, at least for a CYA of 30. If your CYA is as low as you think, the chlorine is extremely harsh in the water. The sun is finally coming out around the San Antonio area, and if you are getting more sun, the chlorine will need that protection from the sun's UV. Progress is good. Hope the rest of your SLAM goes well.
Will do. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.