Should I clean pool cover before putting back on after SLAMing?

Pins

Gold Supporter
Nov 28, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron eQuilibrium EQ25
Hi there,
Thanks for all the support from previous threads helping me, hopefully, get to the end of SLAMing after my pool started getting cloudy.
My question is, should I wash the thermal pool cover before I deploy it on the pool? It was on when the pool was cloudy and has been off for the last few days of SLAMing. My thinking is that whatever was in the pool will also be on the pool cover. Since it has been rolled up in an in ground box, it will still be damp so I imagine nasties still living on the blanket.
I was thinking I should take out the blanket and wash both sides with soap before putting back on. And I guess leave in strong sun for an hour or two.
Great to have your thoughts. Thanks

Yes - it should be cleaned.
A diluted bleach mix would do the trick vs soap. Rinse well. You want to leave the blanket off when slamming to allow cc’s to escape.
Be sure to check/scrub out all nooks & crannies as well like light niches, ladder rails/cups, drain covers, skimmer throats, weir doors (& their foam), vac hoses, etc.
also be sure to run slam level water through all water features.
Aside from those things be sure to follow through w/ slam level for your cya until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria.
If your cya is still 50 (as indicated in your poolmath logs) then Your slam level is 20ppm - going higher just wastes chlorine & risks unnecessary damage to swimmers & equipment.

I’m lazy……..

If it were I my plan would be the opposite, let the pool deal with things. I’d plan on keeping the chlorine level at Slam levels for a few extra days and I’d toss the cover onto the pool. Let the chlorine clean the cover for you while you keep the FC high.

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. I have now done a scrub in the skimmer box area and the one with the suction safety valve. I also washed and scrubbed the skimmer baskets in a diluted bleach solution.
Good point about the other water features. I realised the spa lines have not been in operation so I have adjusted the valves so there so some flow now through the in floor valves and also now through the spa return and suction.
In terms of the blanket, the manufacturer seems quite clear that it shouldn’t be exposed to high chlorine so I think the manual scrub and rinse might be the best.
The pool is only about a year old so I wonder if the contamination was from when it was super dosed by the pool guys at the start. The pool was green and I don’t recall all the scrubbing being done. Anyway, hopefully now it will maintain clarity at 5-7 ppm FC. Thanks again

In terms of the blanket, the manufacturer seems quite clear that it shouldn’t be exposed to high chlorine so I think the manual scrub and rinse might be the best.
What I believe the manufacturer is concerned about is notion of chlorine when it's not in balance with CYA and yes it will be harsh even at 2 ppm to skin, liners, covers and all that it's in contact with but, FC in ratio with proper CYA won't be harsh even up to slam level. So my take is keep it in the water and it'll come around the same way the pool water does.

Reactions: Mdragger88
So @wireform are you saying to put the blanket back in once it gets below SLAM FC? I guess I’m unclear why it’s ok to do this yet it is so crucial to scrub every other bit of the pool. It is a very large surface area to putting back on the pool will likely have the nasties on it? Based on all the advice so far, scrubbing seems to be a must? Can you clarify? Thanks

yet it is so crucial to scrub every other bit of the pool. It is a very large surface area to putting back on the pool will likely have the nasties on it? Based on all the advice so far, scrubbing seems to be a must? Can you clarify? Thanks

Brushing a pool, especially when it has algae, breaks down the biofilm that can protect the algae from the chlorine. Brushing lets the chlorine more easily attack the algae.

I would brush the cover with some chlorinated water to breakup the biofilm before putting it in the pool. Then the pool at SLAM FC can do the hard work on the cover.

I’m pushing time limits of family not being able to use the pool with summer weather coming! Pressure! I’ve given the pool covers a thorough scrub with diluted bleach and will check if FC holds overnight. It will have a few hours on at SLAM FC today so hopefully that works. FC held perfectly last night which was such a relief.77378B83-188F-47FF-805A-6A4B7EC1B52D.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.