Should I add a SWG??

I just called Margaret at Marina (bought my robot from her). I was going to get pricing for Jandy PCL 1400 or the Fusion Soft 1400 to see if it was way cheaper through her and just pay someone to install. Interesting discussion. She told me:

Don't get salt
Many things they cell have a disclaimer on warranty that says it's void if used with salt system
It will be corrosive to my equipment and plumbing
etc

I was surprised because she does so much business with TFP people.

That now makes two different PB's and Margaret screaming at me not to get a SWG....crazy!!!!

It's like I want to start doing drugs, and people are begging me not to! :)

So I'm still really struggling to find someone to do this. I have one guy that's supposed to come by here today or tomorrow to look at equipment and give me a quote....he told me he follows TFP, which was nice, but he also seemed concerned about my travertine coping.

Darn it!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get FusionSoft, that has a mineral cartridge (metals). Get a regular SWG with no metals.

the only reason i was considering is that i have the nature 2 "cannister" that currently has a spot for chlorine tabs (sits empty) and a spot for the mineral pack...i busted out the minerals per instructions on TFP.....my understanding is that the SWG piece would replace the chlorine tab spot....the only reason i was considering is that maybe it's cheaper...but honestly i don't know because i can't even get anyone to give me a Dang quote. This process is insane!

Try this place. Home

They are a wholesaler, but many of the pool builders around here get their equipment from them. They have a location in Frisco, by Toyota stadium. I see they also have one on 380 online, but I dont recall seeing it on the many times I've driven that road. Hopefully they can point you in the right direction.

Given that your coping is not submerged, expressing a concern seems like he's saying don't use it on your pool deck either since it also gets splashed with pool water. Obviously lots of people have it for the deck and it tends to be very highly recommended so I wouldn't put too much faith in his concern....speaking as someone who, again, has had travertine at the waterline (so half submerged) for a dozen or so years.

I really want to know where these people get their bias against SWG's.... I have had mine since 2005.. I put it on a pool that was built around 90. I have more issues with the trees and the leaves and the bugs and the ants and the roots, and the screaming kiddy swimmers. NOTHING has corroded. Even due to it just being wet.. the stainless steel, brass and PVC are in amazing shape.. The sun has done more damage to the pool toys than anything else I can see.

Last edited:
Okay, finally got a quote from ASP. Looks like TruClear is the best option for my plumbing. They would basically take out the Nature 2 (don't get me started) and replace with TruClear. Total price approximately $1100. Any feedback on that pricing? I don't have another quote because everyone else I talk to (pinch a penny, pool builders) tell me I'm crazy to add a SWG...very frustrating.

Anyone else added this? If so, what did you pay. Anyone using TruClear? Loving it? Hating it?

Thanks!

Cody,

Does your nature 2 look like this... Nature2 Fusion Soft Mineral Sanitizer

If so there are two types.. one has chlorine tablets and the mineral cartridge... the other has a SWCG and mineral cartridge...

If this is the type you have, the best option in my mind, is to get the SWCG version and just not install the mineral cartridge.. Take one out and stick the other one in.. Simple..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Cody,

Does your nature 2 look like this... Nature2 Fusion Soft Mineral Sanitizer

If so there are two types.. one has chlorine tablets and the mineral cartridge... the other has a SWCG and mineral cartridge...

If this is the type you have, the best option in my mind, is to get the SWCG version and just not install the mineral cartridge.. Take one out and stick the other one in.. Simple..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, it looks like that...tabs in one slot and minerals in the other. Per instructions from TFP, the minerals have been removed from that portion of it and I don't use tabs.

I THOUGHT we would just be replacing the tabs portion with the swg, but it seems that those parts including the power supply are really difficult to get (maybe they've been discontinued????). The guy from ASP thought we would go this route. NOW, he's saying that his Jandy rep is telling him to remove the Nature 2 system alltogether and replace with the TruClear ( will occupy same spot in my plumbing ).

Thoughts?

As long as the power supply is still good, just get the PLC1400 kit. It should fit right in the spot between the unions.

It should be as easy as unscrewing the unions and installing the new cell with the existing unions.

Replace the power cord and the trisensor.

Is the power supply still good?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From ASP guy:

"
I talked to my Jandy rep yesterday, and we can retro fit TruClear in place of the Fusion. He was going to get back with me today to confirm if that is true. I checked my schematics and it shows to be true. But I want to verify form Jandy and will call the factory tomorrow to conform. Meaning Jandy designed the TruClear and Fusion to be interchangeable as the retrofitted installation is a factory designed with threaded unions built into the housing unit. This method can be used to replace an existing chlorine generator or as a new installation. We can remove your fusion and insert the salt cell without cutting into any PVC. That’s great news for me as a great retro fit for future customers who want a salt pool.

Total cost for TruClear, our flat rate pricing, is $1196.73. We would also remove the booster pump and cap the suction and return line. We would use the same power cable to wire up the power pack.

The Nature 2 Fusion Soft would require the FSOFT1400 and the AquaPure power pack. Each one is sold separately by Jandy, total installation with our flat rate price is $2543.25. We would also remove the booster pump and cap the suction and return line. We would use the same power cable to wire up the power pack.

I like the fusion, but it makes more sense to go with the TruClear based on price, retrofit in the same location as the Fusion and get a three year warranty."

Thoughts on his plan and pricing? The TruClear is less than half the cost of going with FusionSoft.

*** another note....he mentioned the removal of a booster pump. I had a Polaris run by a booster pump with the pool build. A few months ago I replaced the Polaris with a Dolphin 30 robot so I just have this pump sitting there. My plan would be to sell the used booster pump, and sell the used Nature 2 system that is removed with the installation of the TruClear. Any idea how much I should ask for those things? They are 5 years old.

If your existing power supply still works, all you need is the PLC1400 cell kit for about $650. You can install it yourself.

They do make a Truclear cell that's designed to fit an Aquapure cell spot.

You can remove the booster pump and just bypass with Polaris hose kit R0617100.

How old is the power supply?

Do you have a picture of exactly what you currently have?

Last edited:
Here is what I have...to be clear, I DO NOT have a SWG currently...the Nature 2 system I have is just an inline chlorinator for tabs and the mineral spot (i don't use either)....hopefully these pics help--

Attachments

• Robinson Pool Box Inside.jpg
    Robinson Pool Box Inside.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Robinson Pool Box.jpg
    Robinson Pool Box.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Robinson Pool Equip 2.jpg
    Robinson Pool Equip 2.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Robinson Pool Equip 3.jpg
    Robinson Pool Equip 3.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 38
  • Robinson Pool Equip.jpg
    Robinson Pool Equip.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 37
If your existing power supply still works, all you need is the PLC1400 cell kit for about $650. You can install it yourself.

They do make a Truclear cell that's designed to fit an Aquapure cell spot.

You can remove the booster pump and just bypass with Polaris hose kit R0617100.

How old is the power supply?

Do you have a picture of exactly what you currently have?

Photos above plus one more question....i watched some videos of the TruClear and the guy on the video indicated that you would need approx 1750 rpm to generate chlorine (20 gallons per minute, which he said is 1750). My pump has two speeds, photos below of the pump. How do I calculate the rpm to know that I can generate when it's on low speed?

Attachments

• Robinson Pool 2 speed pump 2.jpg
    Robinson Pool 2 speed pump 2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Robinson Pool 2 speed pump.jpg
    Robinson Pool 2 speed pump.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 10
A 2-speed pump will only run at ~1750 or ~3500 rpm. The GPM at each of those speeds is much more difficult to determine and the guy can't make a blanket statement that 1750 = 20 gpm.

A 2-speed pump will only run at ~1750 or ~3500 rpm. The GPM at each of those speeds is much more difficult to determine and the guy can't make a blanket statement that 1750 = 20 gpm.

I figured as much. Anything I can do to figure it out before I invest in this SWG? Obviously I really want it to produce chlorine when on low, or approx 1750 rpm.

Ok, the Truclear should work for you. Your pump is oversized, so it should be fine on low speed as long as you don't have any strange pressure restrictions.

What is the filter pressure on low speed?

Total cost for TruClear, our flat rate pricing, is $1196.73. We would also remove the booster pump and cap the suction and return line. We would use the same power cable to wire up the power pack.

When they say that they will use the same power cable, what power cable are they talking about?

Also, don't cap the Polaris return line. Use it as an extra return.

Ok, the Truclear should work for you. Your pump is oversized, so it should be fine on low speed as long as you don't have any strange pressure restrictions.

What is the filter pressure on low speed?

When they say that they will use the same power cable, what power cable are they talking about?

Also, don't cap the Polaris return line. Use it as an extra return.

Filter pressure on low speed...I'll include a picture because there are only three marks before the 10....if they are 2 each, starting with 4, then it's 5 psi.....weird that there are only three marks before 10, but normal marks after...Why did you ask for this number? Will this help determine if it will generate chlorine on low?

Power cable -- he said when he unhooks the booster pump he can use that power to that pump to power the power pack for the cell instead of running another one (the run is about 10-15 feet, so it would save money i guess).

Attachments

• Robinson Pool Filter Pressure Low Speed.jpg
    Robinson Pool Filter Pressure Low Speed.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 11
I think that the flow will be fine. The pressure helps determine the flow rate based on the head curve of the pump on low.

In my opinion, the Aquapure would be a better choice than the Truclear. They're the same amount of work to install. So, the price for the Aquapure seems excessive. I would expect it to be closer to $1,500.00 installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.