Should gunite be so uneven that you could trip over it?

adriennebev

Aug 14, 2019
Austin, TX
We are having a pool installed and after they shot the gunite, we noticed that the whole surface is rough but there are spots that are so uneven you could trip over them or stub your toe. PB says there is nothing that can be done and we won’t notice it once there is water in it. I’m concerned that the plaster will look horrible and somebody could hurt themselves. Does this sound right?

We are having a pool installed and after they shot the gunite, we noticed that the whole surface is rough but there are spots that are so uneven you could trip over them or stub your toe. PB says there is nothing that can be done and we won’t notice it once there is water in it. I’m concerned that the plaster will look horrible and somebody could hurt themselves. Does this sound right?
Post a picture. You do want a rough surface to hold the plaster better. And little "nubs" of concrete can be knocked off with a hammer. If it is much worse than that you might have a point. I have a thread in my new construction thread with pictures of my pool in that state... They did a good job with mine... As an example..

Does yours look like this?

Reactions: MyAZPool
Post a picture. You do want a rough surface to hold the plaster better. And little "nubs" of concrete can be knocked off with a hammer. If it is much worse than that you might have a point. I have a thread in my new construction thread with pictures of my pool in that state... They did a good job with mine... As an example..

Does yours look like this?
No. Yours looks so much more even than ours.

If that is the worst of it I think the plaster crew can probably fix that up. I have a couple of smaller spots like that and I am sure they can be chipped off or ground down if needed... I think you will be okay, honestly. Keep it hydrated by spraying it several times a day for about a week...

That looks ok to me. Plaster work is amazing to watch. They left holes in our gunite on purpose. They were in the bottom and were to allow drainage in case of rain. All were filled in when plastered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.